• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shave drive flange on axle shaft

mk153smaw

NAXJA Forum User
My dilemma... My new hubs for my 14B project are 5X5.5 with a 4 1/4 (108mm ish) hub OD.
I am going to need to trim/shave the drive flange on my current axels down to that diameter to use them.

I am thinking of filling the original bolt holes with weld, shave down to new diameter then re-drill new bolt holes for the new pattern.

On my drawing board it seems fairly strait forward, but I am thinking I might be over simplifying it?

No, I don't have the time to get new shafts and I was thinking if it could be done with a little metal work why not.

Thoughts?

you mean 4 1/4, not 4 1/2".
arent there already holes in the hub? if they're already in the correct bolt pattern for the stock shafts, moving the holes in the drive flanges is not an option.
i would not be welding the shafts, they are heat treated and that's going to introduce a fair amount of stress in that area IMO. I would rather just machine down the drive flange to 4.25, i think there is enough material to not cause any issues.

I will do just that, I figured I was thinking too much on it. Kinda why I posted in the fab section since you guys have a vast amount of experience making things work.

Dave

Back