• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

setting gears in a dana 35 with a detroit : bearings and bearing caps: re usable? do

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
does anyone think if i can safely get the bearings off a 35 open carrier that i can use them on a detroit ?
if not , when i get new carrier bearings will i have to machine the bearing caps? can i use the bearing caps from the stock open carrier with a set of new bearings. im fairly new to setting gears, but no to XJs . i plan taking my time with this and doing it as cheap as possible.

i will basically be swapping the 3.55 ring gear on to the detroit from the stock open housing and hoping i can get away with reusing the bearings on the detroit or on the open carrier.

i have a free dana 35 with 3.55s and a free full detroit for it that im giving to a friend for free. i know very well dana 35s suck, but its all free, so its better than his 3.07s/open/open to go to 3.55s aussie front/detroit rear, he is only running 31s anyway so i think he will be fine...

I would buy new bearings and "if" you can get the old ones off without tearing up the cage, then after a good inspection you could re-use them. Me personally, I would just replace them and use the old ones as set-up bearings if they are not too bad.

No maching required,but make sure you keep the bearing caps in their correct position.

Back