• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Semi random high idle and running rich

See post #2!!!!

"and check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line for the smell of gas which would mean the FPR seal is bad and leaking excess gas into the intake."

Bingo!!!

"Also the vacuum line to the regulator, and the oil smell like fuel."

The slightest smell of gasoline in the vacuum line at the fuel pressure regulator means the diaphragm is leaking fuel into the vacuum line and that will cause a high erratic idle etc!!!

Awesome! I will pick one up tomorrow. I had assumed that it was ok because my fuel pressure was ok. I guess I still have a lot to learn. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Variable vacuum and leak rate as a function of the engine RPM and decel/accel rate draws a highly variable amount of un-metered by the computer... fuel (the ECU/PCM computers control 100% of the fuel feed rate at the injectors, a fuel leak into the vacuum line bypasses and confuses the computer calculations and control.

Fixing that leak should solve some of your problem. Maybe not all but definitely some.

So I replaced the FPR and no change with rpms but the exhaust smells a lot cleaner and not as much hesitation on accel. So I went a bought a tps anyways just to see if that solves anything. I remembered that I pulled that tps off a jeep at pick n' pull. Gonna take it for a test drive in a few. I do need to do tip 6 on cruiser54. I am getting 1.4 ohm at the tps ground all the way to the c101 but no variation when I wiggle or shake the wires.

So I replaced the FPR and no change with rpms but the exhaust smells a lot cleaner and not as much hesitation on accel. So I went a bought a tps anyways just to see if that solves anything. I remembered that I pulled that tps off a jeep at pick n' pull. Gonna take it for a test drive in a few. I do need to do tip 6 on cruiser54. I am getting 1.4 ohm at the tps ground all the way to the c101 but no variation when I wiggle or shake the wires.

What does the meter read when you short the test lead probes? Good news on the FPR fuel problem solved. Congrats

Oh yeah forgot to subtract the .8 so it was really .6.
I drove it to get burgers and it idle a bit funky on the way there, I'm assuming that was just the computer learning the tps. And on the way home I had no problems at all with the idle and it didn't smell like a volcano when I romped on it. Dropped down to 750ish, rpms bounced a little but I good probably go for a fresh set of plugs or at least a good cleaning.
Thanks guys for your help!

:cheers:

Back