• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Selectable locker

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
Im wanting to get a selectable lockers and im just want to know all of your opinions.

from choosing between the ARB and OX, I think im going with the OX
b/c i really dont want to deal with hearing a air compressor or the working with the wiring

BUT I never hear anyone talk about the OX here
what do you all think about it?

What type of axle will you be installing the locker in?

If you're running a Dana 44 and you're worried about compressor issues with the ARB, I would definitely recommend going with a Eaton E-Locker. They're very quiet (too quiet to hear engage) and electronic so no need to mess with hoses or cables. The wiring is quite simple to install. I'm currently running one in my D44 rear with 4.56 gears and 32" tires. I've been very pleased with the performance.

I have been to busy to look at any 4x4 mags, to many 12-14 hour days starting my own business. So MAAAAAYBE OX is still around in some various incarnation, or someone else bought their product line and name. I read on PIRATE they went belly up a few months ago.

I bought an OX for the front 30 and it works like a charm. No complaints here. Haven't had any cable issues, and I'm one of those shift in and out people. knock on wood. For some reason I just like to know how far I can go in 3 wheel drive. Then lock it up and proceed.

LOVE my ARBs. Do you really think routing an OX cable is any easier than running an air line? I should think it'd be harder.
Without a compressor, that long drive back to town from the trailhead on aired-down tires must really suck.
Nothing at all wrong with the OX, though. Either would be a good choice.

A guy over on Jeepin.com runs an OX in his D30 and loves it. I can see using an OX in the dana 30 over the ARB because of the problems they've had with the ARB in the D30 app. with loosening ringgear bolts carriers coming apart because of housing flex ect. With the OX you get that beefy diff cover that looks like it could add to the structual integrity of the D30 housing. Just a thought.

I vote e-locker.

$575 and you can wire it up and done.

The only down side, is you will have to admit that this is the same locker that is optional on H2's! LOL

C85D4x4 said:
from choosing between the ARB and OX, I think im going with the OX b/c i really dont want to deal with hearing a air compressor or the working with the wiring
i can only speak for the arb...but do not let the wiring of an arb scare you. it comes with a really sweet and simple wiring harness. if you want, i can try to snap some pictures of it tonight.

E-locker is an LSD when in "open" mode. When locked it is a spool like an ARB (IIRC).

An LSD in open mode may or may not be what you want. I went ARB because I wanted open diffs when open to keep the front end from being squirelly in full time mode and to keep the rear end from being squirrelly in winter driving.

I didn't consider the OX because at the time they couldn't make their mind up if they were a business or not and I had heard some stuff about the QA not being the best. My understanding is that these issues have since been resolved.

HTH

r@m

Root Moose said:
E-locker is an LSD when in "open" mode. When locked it is a spool like an ARB (IIRC).

The Eaton E-Locker is "open" when in open "mode". You're probably thinking of the Electrac. That's an LSD in "open" mode. That's one of the reasons I went with the Eaton, I didn't want an LSD.

FitchVA said:
i can only speak for the arb...but do not let the wiring of an arb scare you. it comes with a really sweet and simple wiring harness. if you want, i can try to snap some pictures of it tonight.

That would be great!

Anybody want to kick the Tera "T-Locker" around for a while? It kind of reminds me of a hybred between an air accuated and an electric.

Tim

I have ARB and love it. As far as the compressor thing, if you wheel in areas that need a locker then you should be airing down and could use a compressor in your rig anyway.

Back