• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

select trac shifting problems

TMNT said:
ok so mine shifts into 4x4 when rolling in nuetral. When I am in 2wd there is a slight clicking sound that speeds up as i go faster. When in 4wd it goes away. Can anyone diagnose this problem? Is it saft to drive in 4wd all the time/?

_Dillon
Yes but that's don't fix the problem.
Loose u-joints often will make noise it 2wd but not in 4wd untill they fail wipping everything out.

langer1 said:
Yes but that's don't fix the problem.
Loose u-joints often will make noise it 2wd but not in 4wd untill they fail wipping everything out.

Really? Keep in mind that this guy isn't the original poster and never said what transfercase he has. You may have just sent someone out driving around on the street in 4wd with a 231.

I am not sure which transfer case I have. Its a 1990 cherokee laredo with a aw4 and 4.0. Its all stock. I will check out the u-joints tomorrow. I have been just dealing with the clicking and driving it in 2wd. I am kinda new to the xj world. hah

-Dillon

TMNT said:
I am not sure which transfer case I have. Its a 1990 cherokee laredo with a aw4 and 4.0. Its all stock. I will check out the u-joints tomorrow. I have been just dealing with the clicking and driving it in 2wd. I am kinda new to the xj world. hah

-Dillon

Look at your shifter.
If you have 2wd, 4wd, N, 4wd-low it's a 231 and should not be driven it 4wd on dry pavment.
If you have 2wd, Hi Lock, 4wd, N, Lo Lock, it's a 242 and you can drive it in 4wd (Never in Lock).

Its a 231. What exactly is wrong with driving it in 4x4 on dry pavement? When I first got it I drove it from northern Utah to Houston. I was up there getting it last winter and it was snowing and me being a person born and raised in Houston I had never seen snow before (I am 21) so I pulled off the road to pretty much play in the snow and I got stuck so I put it in 4x4. When I got out I left it in 4x4 for over 100 miles back I would say....could this be a reason for the clicking now? I had not driven it much since then because I needed to fix some things that were messed up. I sure hope I didnt mess something up.

-Dillon

EDIT: I have not driven in 4x4 at high speeds (maybe 15 MPH max) at all since then.

The manual says when shifting back and forth you may need to "tap the gas pedal" for each mode you've shifted through. If going from 2hi to 4full-time you "tap" the gas pedal twice (since you've shifted through 4part-time), if shifting from 2hi to 4part-time "tap" once etc. This is suppoed to help the TC shift.

TMNT said:
Its a 231. What exactly is wrong with driving it in 4x4 on dry pavement? When I first got it I drove it from northern Utah to Houston. I was up there getting it last winter and it was snowing and me being a person born and raised in Houston I had never seen snow before (I am 21) so I pulled off the road to pretty much play in the snow and I got stuck so I put it in 4x4. When I got out I left it in 4x4 for over 100 miles back I would say....could this be a reason for the clicking now? I had not driven it much since then because I needed to fix some things that were messed up. I sure hope I didnt mess something up.

-Dillon
Yes it could very well be.
You understand what a differential is it makes up for differences between the left and right wheels when turning.
In part-time 4wd (231) T-Case the front and rear wheels are locked together and the tires must slide a little to make up differences between front and back.
In the full-time t-case (242) there is a differential between front and rear to relieve that strain in the driveline.

sheesh. I hope I didnt ruin the TC. I am used to FSJ stuff like quadratrac. The last thing I want is to have to pay for a new or rebuilt TC. I have already sunk a ton of money into this thing....:mad: :repair:

-Dillon

Ok, you could have problems. When your checking the u-joints, if they check out ok, I'd try a few things. Jack up your pass-side wheel (in 2wd) and rotate it. If you hear a clicking/grinding noise from the axle tube your axle disconnect isn't fully disengaging which should be a pretty easy fix. Then try rotating the front driveshaft, if you hear a clicking/scraping noise from the t-case you may have stretched/worn your chain in that highway driving. If that's the case, stop driving it! I'm not sure on the 231 but on a 242 a slack chain can contact the oil pick-up tube and wear a hole in it starving the case for oil. It also drags across the bottom of the case and could eventually wear through resulting in catastrophic fluid loss. It may be quite save-able still, a chain isn't that much and it's not too bad to change (it can even be done without removing the case but there's differing opinions on what's easier). I could be wrong, I'm far from the most knowledgeable person here, but in any case it can hurt to rotate a few things and have a listen.

ok I took off the passenger front wheel and the axle Ujoints are pretty much non-existent. I have changed Ujoints on drive shafts alot but have never done the axle Ujoints. I cant for the life of me find my repair manual (when I need it of course hah) so can anyone give me the run down on putting one on? Do I have to pull the hub? The brakes? I am hopeing this is all it needs to be fixed. I was pretty happy when I shook the U-joint and it had tons of side to side slack. I turned the front driveshaft when I was under there and there isnt a grinding noise at all just a small clink when I rotate it which I think is normal. thanks for all the help!

-Dillon

I second that, I heard my chain clacking in my 242 tcase but before I got around to having it checked I blew the case apart, about 5 or 6 major cracks, sure enough pulled it off and the chain was off( replacement being shipped right now).I do have to say I have always had to do everything all of you have said, mine has never shifted at a stand still nor even on pavement I have always had to get in the dirt sort of speak not complaining tho got 278,000 out of t-case and would have got more if I had taken the warning signs a bit more serious. Do wish it was easier to disengage thou.

Wow good time took at least a hour and a few not so nice words but had never had a 4x4 so first time to tackle the hubs of course never knew they could be pressed on either, woman for ya.

Ok sorry to bring up and old post, but just showing i searched.

I was messing around with the XJ, and I cannot get iy to shift into N or 4lo. I can get it in part time and full time but when i try to pull back on the lever to get it in N or 4lo it wont budge.

any clue?

thanks

NOVAggie said:
Ok sorry to bring up and old post, but just showing i searched.

I was messing around with the XJ, and I cannot get iy to shift into N or 4lo. I can get it in part time and full time but when i try to pull back on the lever to get it in N or 4lo it wont budge.

any clue?

thanks
You need to push it to the right and then back.

also if you're shifting into 4LO you should be rolling at 2-3mph and then shift the tranny to neutral and then you can shift it into 4LO

Back