• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Select Increment XJ Pod (Subwoofer)

kthrash

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone got one of these yet?? My wife got me one for Xmas. Will install when she lets me have it.

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sg...2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=13&UID=2005121915442579

p51506.JPG

I made one of those before they came out. But i put pioneer 6x9s on each side. I got really good sound between those and the 6x9s on the rear door. I think the sub would be great.
755295_11_full.jpg

Yeah I have one...I have a Kicker comp 8VR in it. (Great speaker, not so great enclosure.) Plastic does not have very good sound properties. Also I was disappointed with the way you must run the wires out from the enclosure. Basically you run them through a hole with a grommet. Subwoofers such as the one I purchased need air tight enclosures. I used some silicone to fix the prob. But this should have been thought about in earlier stages of design. Also the mounting system leaves much to be desired. They expect you to screw like eight self tapping screws through the inside of the enclosure into the plastic of the rear panel.
On a positive side my system now has a little bass and it sounds better then it did before another plus is that I did not loose any rear hatch space
But I could only imagine how that garbage Pyle woofer that came with the more expensive unit sounds.
Anyways, don’t follow the instructions that tell you to install it with the jeep’s rear plastic panel on. Take the panel out of your jeep and drill holes through the enclosure and the plastic panel then ether use the hardware supplied or do what I did and go to home depot and buy some nuts, blots and washers and use those to hold the enclosure in place...Either way its much easier to do with the inside panel taken off.

Looks nice but man $140 without a speaker, woof, thats expensive for some vacum moulded plastic....

food for thought....

a high priced super quality driver(woofer) can sound like poo if it's in an enclosure that's not designed for it. Maybe the driver they sell with this unit is matched to the enclosure type/volume/design and will sound great. Maybe not.

I've seen $25 rockford 8" drivers in the correct enclosure outperform $300 drivers in crappy enclosures.

In any bass enclosure, rigidity is your best friend. Mount it properly...to the metal and not the plastic molding.

cheers

been really concidering doing this is it worth the money for the amount of space saved or should i just get a enclosure for it? I like the look of it and dont listen to bumpin music so should i have a problem with rattling since its plastic?

totalvideo2 said:
been really concidering doing this is it worth the money for the amount of space saved or should i just get a enclosure for it? I like the look of it and dont listen to bumpin music so should i have a problem with rattling since its plastic?
If you just stick a small Rockford Fosgate 8" stage 1 Punch back there you won't be rattling much of anything. If you just need the extra bit of low that would be almost perfect for you.

The XJ Pod, is a rattling piece of worthless crap! Just my $.02. I got one and wasted an insane amount of time trying to get it to stop rattling enough to make it bareable, but it was impossible. If you run a really low powered sub/amp combo, then it might be fine, otherwise, do not buy it!!

i run ~850rms through 2 12" 's and have no problems with rattles. or if i do i cant hear them over the music

Cherokee Yellow said:
Probably in a very large custom box, right? The box makes a big difference in overall quality of sound.

Yes it is, and when i need the cargo space instead, i just hire a team of migrant workers to take it out.

I have one and I'm pretty happy with it, but it took a little work for me to be satisfied with it. Like previously stated, their mounting system sucks, you have to seal the wires going into it, and it takes some work to stop it from vibrating. I had to use a lot of dynamat behind the interior panel and where it attaches to the rest on the interior and I used expanding foam behind the actual enclosure to stop it from vibrating there. It vibrated like crazy when I first installed it like the instructions called for. I figured it would but I gave it a shot.

I'm running a Kicker competition 4 ohm dual voice coil 8" in it, the specs of that speaker were perfect for that size, sealed enclosure. I'm powering it by an Alpine 150 watt RMS amp under the front passenger side seat. It sounds great and has a good amount of bass for one 8. I was impressed. I have a newer Alpine headunit and I really like how I can adjust the sub level right on the stereo. Its nice to be able to turn it up or down to suit my mood so easily. :D

Back