• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seiler's Fab/Welding thread.

Looks great man! Welds look fantastic. There's nothing like a good flat table to fab from.

Here's a 5' x 20 that I made for myself at a previous Job. I made the entire table upside down on a 20' x 20' leveling pad the company had. Shot in with a transit it had less than a 32nd out of plane. It was fantastic to fab on!

Looks great man! Welds look fantastic. There's nothing like a good flat table to fab from.

Here's a 5' x 20 that I made for myself at a previous Job. I made the entire table upside down on a 20' x 20' leveling pad the company had. Shot in with a transit it had less than a 32nd out of plane. It was fantastic to fab on!

Beautiful. That is one serious table! How long did it take?

I hope to have the top blanchard ground flat and shiny when I finally get the base finished. Then it's off to a water jet for some rounded corners for sure, and maybe a few holes cut in the middle for clamping tools. We'll see.

I was able to complete a few more welds yesterday. Couldn't finish because I had some house exploring plans to attend to. Working a ton of OT the next two weeks, hope to work on the table April fools day, I'll keep you guys updated.

Scott

Those are some sexy ass welds!! :greensmok

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful. That is one serious table! How long did it take?

I hope to have the top blanchard ground flat and shiny when I finally get the base finished. Then it's off to a water jet for some rounded corners for sure, and maybe a few holes cut in the middle for clamping tools. We'll see.

I was able to complete a few more welds yesterday. Couldn't finish because I had some house exploring plans to attend to. Working a ton of OT the next two weeks, hope to work on the table April fools day, I'll keep you guys updated.

Scott

Thanks man. It took prolly 14hrs or so to fab. It helped immensely that we had an overhead crane to maneuver it around. Can't wait to see your finished product!

GL on the house plans as well! :thumbup:

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. I had to pack up all my stuff and throw it into storage for awhile. I finally moved into a new house and can now break out all the toys again.

There are no updates on the table, I'll work on finishing it soon, but it is somewhat functional. In the meantime, I had a buddy contact me asking if I could help him narrow his Rockwell axle. I already did the front, and now he wants to do the rear. Building axles is something I want to do in the future, so I was really excited to take this project on.

He did all the cutting beforehand and he simply wanted me to weld the tube back together. Unfortunately, he started cutting on the wrong tube before he realized it.

DSC_4396
by The Color Orange, on Flickr

I know you can only see one side in that picture, but he cut 50% of the way through the tube. It took me awhile to come up with a method to weld what he had mistakenly cut away without warping the axle. I think I've finally found a solution.

First, I had to drive all the way up to Kersey (out in the middle of nowhere) to pickup an I-beam so I could fabricate a jig. I found it on craigslist and it was the only cheap candidate I could locate without buying a brand new 20' stick from a steel yard for serious coin.

IMG_2901

I made two supports using some square tube I had leftover from my table build.

DSC_4347

DSC_4353

I then prepped the beam and welded the supports on using the last bit of square tube as an alignment bar.

DSC_4367

DSC_4375

DSC_4381

DSC_4386

Now the axle is situated on the supports and ready to burn in. I have two extremely heavy duty ratchet straps on both sides to apply downward pressure when I weld the openings which should keep it from warping.

DSC_4391

DSC_4394

IMG_2932

As of right now, that's how it sits. I should have some time next week to complete the actual welding portion. The other side (short side) is about halfway done. I forgot to take pictures of that but you can see the weld in a few images. I'll keep y'all posted.

I was thinking the same thing.

Back