• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat belts

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
What was the last year they built the XJ that has just lap seat belts in the rear? When did they go to the shoulder belts in the rear? Was just the Renix years lap belts?

I have to get a replacement retractor and just want to be sure Express, CFC, etc. have the correct year XJ's on hand before I go.

The research I did, Ed, shows that all Cherokees have the mounting points for the shoulder belts, even those that were delivered with just lap belts. The uncertainty is whether all of them came with the mounting nuts welded to the C pillar.

Last edited:
I went looking in the parts truck stash. I found a drivers side retractor. I'm going to pull it later in the week (Thursday or Friday). I just hope it is in good shape. If not, I'm headed to Ivy Bluff Saturday morning.

It looks as though the rear lap belts ran from 1984 through 1989. I saw a 1990 today and it has shoulder belts. I did find the part I needed from a 1988-89 model.

I have a couple of retractors that I painted gray. You can have them if you cover the shipping.

I found a good one that came out with virtually no effort. The problem I'm having now is the old bolt holding the messed up retractor won't budge.

Get one of those hammer impact tools like we used to use on motorcycles a while ago. The shock does wonders on breaking it loose. Soak it with ATF/acetone to penetrate any rust.

Ed, if you can wait until Harlan, and have the correct sized torx socket I can use my impact driver to break it loose.

Back