• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seaforam works magic.

Quick little Photochop
seafoambj0.jpg

Zice said:
Yea dont put it in your oil more than like 20 miles before your oil change... it cleans your engine out and all the stuff it cleans sits in your engines oil so you want to add, run, change oil...

Happy to be able to help out a Veteran Member ;)

i have heard that this stuff was hell on oil seals and gaskets, basically with the oil leaks that old jeeps see (mine included) it may make the leaks worse. either by being harsh on the old gaskets or removing junk that may actually be plugging leaks.

any truth to this?

-Tim

Well Im not a Sales Rep for Seafoam as I may be acting like but that would make alot of sense... Not so much harming the gaskets but more removing the junk that holds everything together... Its really a toss up though... if you would rather rid the engine of the sludge and gunk in there you take the risk of removing the plug that has formed... Since that stuff really shouldnt be there anyhow its better to take it out and fix it the right way... Bandaids dont work when you need stitches.

food for thought.

*and for the record I didnt add any seafoam to the crankcase so nothing Ive said about the oil is first hand.

Big Red said:
I'm so worried about putting any liquids where my air intake is. I hydro locked a motor already and it really sucks.

You cannot hydrolock the engine with seafoam. Remember water doesnt compress...but seafoam, a thin oil, does :)

88XJSport said:
You cannot hydrolock the engine with seafoam. Remember water doesnt compress...but seafoam, a thin oil, does :)

??? What the hell are you talking about?

Because of the large amount of dissolved oxygen in water it can actually compress a little bit. Not enough for most people to measure, but it does. Oil cannot compress, which is why it is used in hydaulic rams, etc.

I really don't think this has anything to do with hydrolocking. You can even spray a little water down the TB and cause the temps in the combustion chamber to climb, burning off a lot of crap. Water injection is somewhat common especially in military vehicles, but it doesn't mean you drown the engine in water and lock it up.

Zice said:
Happy to be able to help out a Veteran Member ;)

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Lawn Cher' said:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

"Happy to be able to help out a Veteran Member" -- Wow, I'm not used to such comments on this website Zice!!!

I'd like to think that my comments are value added, even if many times it has a comic value with my comments or the "nice" feedback I get from others here. Glad I could help.

We can learn a lot from this site from the newbie to the novice. We learn in life from our own experience and from what others have experienced. It's very beneficial when someone else can relay their good and bad experiences and we can piggy back on that so as not to go down the wrong path.

:cheers:

Troy

SCW said:
I really don't think this has anything to do with hydro-locking. You can even spray a little water down the TB and cause the temps in the combustion chamber to climb, burning off a lot of crap. Water injection is somewhat common especially in military vehicles, but it doesn't mean you drown the engine in water and lock it up.

Yes, but water or methanol injection is usually done on FI vehicles with extremely high intake temps, and you can definitely hydro-lock your engine with these methods if your flow rate is too high.

So back to the topic, yes you can lock your engine with sea foam if you put too much in too fast. NEVER, and I mean NEVER put your vaccum tube inside the can to suck the Sea Foam out. If you do, you WILL "Hydrolock" your engine.

jeepnuts311 said:
i have heard that this stuff was hell on oil seals and gaskets, basically with the oil leaks that old jeeps see (mine included) it may make the leaks worse. either by being harsh on the old gaskets or removing junk that may actually be plugging leaks.

any truth to this?

-Tim

Switching to a Synthetic oil after a while will have the same result. I switched to synthetic on mine when it had 67K on it and with in 500 miles had an oil pan and rear main leak. Small leaks, but leaks none the less.

Back to the topic, I can just add an entire can to a tank of gas and it will clean up the crap in the fuel system correct? I'm a little leary about adding it to the engine oil or vac. line.

What does this stuff do to the cat & muffler?

99XJSPORT06 said:
Switching to a Synthetic oil after a while will have the same result. I switched to synthetic on mine when it had 67K on it and with in 500 miles had an oil pan and rear main leak. Small leaks, but leaks none the less.

Back to the topic, I can just add an entire can to a tank of gas and it will clean up the crap in the fuel system correct? I'm a little leary about adding it to the engine oil or vac. line.

No adding it to the three different places all clean different parts of the engine.
It will not hydro lock an engine because it burns and evaporates instantly unlike water.

I finally tried some the other day.... 2/3 a can in the tank (which was about 1/4 full) and 1/3 in the t-body and let it soak. Decent smoke show for about 3 blocks.... I hammered on it a few times to really clean it out/burn off the crap. It idles better in the morning and seems smoother on accel.

Im not a big believer in 'snake oil' type products but so far the seafoam seemed to have worked.

99XJSPORT06 said:
One can of seafoam (1pt) treats 8 to 25 gallons of gas...

Back