• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seaforam works magic.

How did the B-12 Work for you?

1985xjlaredo said:
How did the B-12 Work for you?

I think it is just as good as seafoam, but neither one solved my problem. My problem turned out to be a bad TPS sensor.

Wow! And here I thought you could fix ANYTHING by putting some expensive junk in your gas tank! j/k.

Re: Hydrolocking your engine. Hydrolock occurs when a cylinder has more non-compressable liquid in it than there is volume in the cylinder with the piston at TDC on a compression stroke. I don't know the compression ratio of the 4.0 off the top of my head, but let's just say it's 9:1. 4 liters is approx 245 cubic inches, a 6 cylinder engine would have approximately 40 cubic inches displacement per cylinder, so with at TDC your volume is going to be approx 4.5 cubic inches. Since one fluid ounce = 1.805 cubic inches, you could *theoretically* fit approx. 2.5 fluid ounces in *each* cylinder without damage, so 15 fluid ounces total for all 6 cylinders (assuming the SeaFoam was drawn into each cylinder equally, which it probably wouldn't), or almost the whole can in one revolution of the engine. My 4.0 idles at approx 1000RPM, so you'd have about 1/8th of a second (~2 revolutions) to pour in 15 oz, or 1/48th of a second (~1/6th of 2 revolutions) to pour in 2.5 fluid oz. So while it is theoretically possible to hydrolock your engine, you would have to pour FAST.

Disclaimer: My math is more than likely faulty. If you hydrolock your engine it's not my fault.

Since Seafoam is basically just a few potent solvents in an expensive can, personally I just clean my intake with the engine off by hosing it down with a spray can of Berryman's Chemtool, let it soak, then start it up and rev it 'till the smoke dies down. Then run a bottle of Chevron Techtron fuel treatment and I'm good to go.

POSXJGuy said:
you best check under the hood first and then use the pressure gauge as you are driving.

i knew chrysler should have installed oil level warning lights in these things.

:shiver::shiver::shiver::shiver:
well thats funny i have an 87 with a billion miles on it and it uses NOTHING beween oil changes.......guess fixin those leaks was worth it after all

I buy the gallon containers of Seafoam at Advance Auto Parts. We have 2 ML320's, 1 C230K, 1 Scion XB, 1 Land Rover Discovery II and my XJ and it gets used on all of them. I have been using it for a long time with no issues. It does have a tendency to bring your neighbors out in the beginning to see where all the smoke is coming from. But hey just put it in, let it sit then take off down the road/trail. I bought a funnel from Advance Auto parts that has a cap on the top of it with a valve on the bottom where I can control the amount of flow to the vacuum line, it was like $5. The funnel also has measurements on the side so you can pour in how much you want and put the rest in your tank.

Joey :eyes:

Anybody have any issues reguarding O2 sensor fouling? Or cat damage?
Both are new. I was even thinking about removing intermediate portion of header (Pacesetter) and really give the neighbors a show, or at least wake them up.
headbang.gif
original.aspx
thefinger.gif

Last edited:
Back