• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seafoam?

Jim Mesthene said:
That's exactly what I do 5-8 times a year. Then I pull the trailer through the woods a little way.
I was a dealership mechanic for 27 years, I've seen sludge. You can leave a sludged up valve cover under running Safety-Kleen for 12 hours and it won't come off without a scraper. Pouring a little Coleman fuel + alcohol (see the Seafoam MSDS, those are the ingredients) through won't do anything but compromise the lubrication and overload the catalytic converter......and lighten your wallet.

Now you have my attention. You by far have decades more experience then me. Then why does my 94 run smoother after running this crap through? Guess I'm screwing things up then?

Jeepm@n said:
Now you have my attention. You by far have decades more experience then me. Then why does my 94 run smoother after running this crap through? Guess I'm screwing things up then?
If you do have carbon buildup on the intake valves (it could happen), try feeding the same amount of water into the vacuum line using the same technique as the Seafoam. It will clean carbon just as effectively.
If it's a recurring problem, you should try to find out why you are getting the buildup. Primary suspects are sitty gas, wrong plugs (usually some kind of miracle plug), or fuel additives.

Jim Mesthene said:
Better luck at what?
What "stuff"?
Where does the "stuff" come from?
How do you know it's the "stuff" that's fouling the plugs, and not the Lucas and Seafoam "stuff" that's fouling the plugs?
Why does my '96 work perfectly when I haven't addressed the "stuff" issue at all?
i first ran seafoam in the gas tank...no noticeable difference, then i ran lucas and i notice a gain in gas milage, i compared the milage.

before i added seafoam to my booster i pulled my plugs and looked at them. after i ran the sea foam i pulled them again and they were black. before used seafoam i researched it and several people said that it fouled their plugs. it didnt foul my plugs on either my xj or my yj and they run better, i was just saying that it does happen(fouled plugs that is) and maybe that why someones may run worse after the seafoam

Time to bring up an old thread. Just got done using the Sea Foam. I put approx. 2/3 of the can into the gas tank and let the brake booster vacuum line suck in the the remaining 1/3 into the intake. I let the lack of vacuum shut off the engine, then I let it sit for 10 minutes. I prepared myself for the huge cloud of white smoke as I turned the key back on to start it. Engine started right up like normal, but no smoke. I gave it a rev, and a lil' smidgen of smoke appeared behind me, then nothing. Drove it around the neighborhood, no smoke. Could it be that my intake system was that clean? Something doesn't seem right...

I've done it before and have had minimal smoke(not anywhere near to making my neighbors wonder wtf). Oh yeah, next time I do it is when I'll give my bro my cat(swapping it out for a 2 bung so I can use wb02) so the cat nor o2(scored a newish looking one at the JY and am curious if it'll change anything) will be connected.

Last edited:
It removes tons of carbon, it does a good job at removing STUFF. It does quickly what MMO will do over time. I prefer MMO only because the cloud of smoke produced from Seafoam removing all that STUFF will bring the local FD.

ok here is the schedual I use in all my vehicles and Ive even gotten my boss to start using it at our work on the fleet

Every oil change a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner
napa gold filters (air and oil)
castrol oil of proper grade
(higher millage or vehicles that idle a lot get 1 qt lucas oil stabilizer)

every 3rd oil change
add a can of sea foam to the oil 1 week before service
rotate tires
inspect brakes

every 4th oil change
change fuel filter
minor (1/4 can)seafoam of intake and throttle body

nastiness that an EGR system creates.
===============================
Your EGR is bad or leaking or opening too soon. Maybe tons of blow by to. You should not see deposts that far back in the intake. If any at all on a engine that burns little or no oil.
Seafoam in the carb was good to stop run on in the old carbed engines. Or stop knock if the timing wasn't to fast. Else it's of little help there.
In the fuel tank to clean carb/inj. Many fuels clean well all by themself now. but if you do get a miss or bad idle it's cheaper to try first before replacing inj.
In the oil. If you need to add soming to clean the interals? (IMO) Change oil more often. Besides adding a quart of K-1 then idling for 15 or so min just before you change your oil will do just as will and is a lot cheaper.

Back