• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Schubarth Road trip report

RockyCodeHead

NAXJA Forum User
Schubarth Road is snowy but fairly passable (especially driving in...) We drove to the end of FS311 and almost didn't make it out. Notice I don't have a winch on the rig in the photo below (from today)?
Broke it last summer winching across snow drifts on Jenny Creek and haven't bought the parts yet. :jester: I am an idiot.

Anyhow, we almost didn't make it up the first hill from the parking area at the end. The snow was deep and I was without a winch. Luck and blessings were with us and after 20 minutes of forward and back, forward and back, and racing up the hill I was able to coax the rig over the worst of it. Several other smaller powder mounds slowed us down with more forward and reverse and then we were home free.

So I learned two lessons, 1) fix the winch. 2) Get to know the guys in NAXJA so I have someone to call that doesn't drive a grocery getter!

-Rob

img_3350-7.jpg

:laugh: Fix the winch. Wheeling alone isn't fun when you're stuck. How is the cell phone service out there? I've gone out, gotten stuck then had to walk a few miles back to an area just to call someone. :callme:

Chains would have been nice. I have looked into them and it's a lot of $$$.

The winch is definitely a priority now. Not going to run the chance of being stranded again without it!

The cellphone service at the end of FS311 was great. But, you're literally overlooking the valley and the academy, so it should be. Once you get back into the trees, you loose the signal fast. And, I don't think you get it back until you're back on Rampart Range Road heading into Woodland Park.

Here you go Frank...

Ice flows on the road up to the trail, these were made by putting a sprinkler head atop a pipe and spraying water while the cold air freezes it:
img_3334-2.jpg

img_3337-3.jpg

This is how the trail was most of the way on FS307:
img_3353-8.jpg

Once on FS311 the snow was more consistent and deeper. After I turned around, I was so stressed about the likelihood of being stranded I didn't stop long enough to photograph the bad stuff... Though I did air down my tires to about 15psi and it made a huge difference.
:wow:

Last edited:
Back