• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

School me on rock rings

I've certainly bent a lot of wheels, but never folded one right over. Haven't found a lot of pictures of others doing this either. Small bends I understand and I know they'll always happen, but those are from big impacts. This was just me pushing the edge of the wheel right out :).

How thick are your rings and did you do both sides? DYI I've heard is 1/4" and they only ship 4 to a set, so I assume they figure 1/4 ring on the outside of the wheel is enough. Is it?

Personally, I would say no to needing only the outside. Most beadlocks only lock the outside bead.

1/4" may be enough, depending its other dimensions.

I never understood how they can think you don't need to worry about the inside bead as well.

But putting a ring on the inside could very well (likely) interfere with tie rods & brakes, which would require spacers if you are adamant about putting them there.

And again, the cold roll rim protector thing would be the easiest to put on the inside with probably the least interference issues. That was my plan on my old ramcharger, cold roll protector on the inside, and either that or possibly more conventional rings on the outside.

I've certainly bent a lot of wheels, but never folded one right over. Haven't found a lot of pictures of others doing this either. Small bends I understand and I know they'll always happen, but those are from big impacts. This was just me pushing the edge of the wheel right out :).

How thick are your rings and did you do both sides? DYI I've heard is 1/4" and they only ship 4 to a set, so I assume they figure 1/4 ring on the outside of the wheel is enough. Is it?

As I said before I think they're 3/16, maybe 1/4. Can't do the inside, it would only be like a 1/2" wide in order to clear 1ton dual piston calipers on 17's. I did bend the inner lip once but IIRC the tire had gone flat first and then I smashed it in.

Personally, I would say no to needing only the outside. Most beadlocks only lock the outside bead.

1/4" may be enough, depending its other dimensions.

I never understood how they can think you don't need to worry about the inside bead as well.

But putting a ring on the inside could very well (likely) interfere with tie rods & brakes, which would require spacers if you are adamant about putting them there.

And again, the cold roll rim protector thing would be the easiest to put on the inside with probably the least interference issues. That was my plan on my old ramcharger, cold roll protector on the inside, and either that or possibly more conventional rings on the outside.

As I said before I think they're 3/16, maybe 1/4. Can't do the inside, it would only be like a 1/2" wide in order to clear 1ton dual piston calipers on 17's. I did bend the inner lip once but IIRC the tire had gone flat first and then I smashed it in.

Yea, should've thought of the inner clearance issues :) With the WJ knuckles and OTA/OTK steering, I've got about 1/4" clearance. I might be able to sneak some rebar in there, which I'll do if I've got the room. Now just looking for someone to cut out some rings for me. Is there anyone other than DYI that doesn't charge an absurd amount of money, or take months to deliver?

Based on the stazworks site, you can get the cold rolled bar ones for 25 bucks each (15 off the listed price of 38), and you weld them on. They are 1/2" round stock, not rebar anymore.

They are the only company I have dealt with or ordered from, but their prices have gone up a good bit since then.

Had a buddy that just bought a set of rock rings from TMI. Standard is 3/16 but you can get 1/4 from them. 100 bucks a set. Here's the link.https://totalmetalinnovations.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

Awesome. Just checking on lead/shipping times for TMI and DIY, and asking DIY if they'll do a 1/4".

Based on the stazworks site, you can get the cold rolled bar ones for 25 bucks each (15 off the listed price of 38), and you weld them on. They are 1/2" round stock, not rebar anymore.

They are the only company I have dealt with or ordered from, but their prices have gone up a good bit since then.

Do the cold rolled bars get welded to the inside of the lip, or right on the lip? Can't tell from their "2" pictures and no data. I'm always tempted to offer to fix everyone's sites and then everyone thinks i'm just being a dick. Seriously though, 4x4 sites are atrociously bad.

i would personally do the stazworks weld in bar on the inner bead of the wheel and the weld in rockrings from whoever on the outside.

and actually, thats what I'm doing since I've bent the hell out of all 4 of my wheels within the last 2 wheeling trips.

i would personally do the stazworks weld in bar on the inner bead of the wheel and the weld in rockrings from whoever on the outside.

and actually, thats what I'm doing since I've bent the hell out of all 4 of my wheels within the last 2 wheeling trips.

Yup, that's the plan. Gotta take some better measurements of the inside clearance, cause my TRE's are real close to the wheel, but I think I can fit a 1/2" in there.

I'm thinking for the outside, and I'm not sure if this has any benefit or not, but just rollin' idea's around right now... I may get a fairly thin and short ring for the outer, have 30 or so small holes drilled into it, weld in some nuts into the holes, and bolt a slightly larger diameter ring to it. This gives me a completely sacrificial ring for soaking up sharp edges. Again, as I've never run rings, I have no idea how strong they are. ie: will big hits still do any structural damage to the lip of the wheel with a regular ring, where the addition of a sacrificial bolt on ring may have helped?

Do the cold rolled bars get welded to the inside of the lip, or right on the lip? Can't tell from their "2" pictures and no data. I'm always tempted to offer to fix everyone's sites and then everyone thinks i'm just being a dick. Seriously though, 4x4 sites are atrociously bad.

Ya know, I don't remember, and the only pics I have of those rims don't show the inside. I had them weld them on when I ordered, but if you are doing it, I see no reason why you can't weld both the inside & the outside.

I'm thinking for the outside, and I'm not sure if this has any benefit or not, but just rollin' idea's around right now... I may get a fairly thin and short ring for the outer, have 30 or so small holes drilled into it, weld in some nuts into the holes, and bolt a slightly larger diameter ring to it. This gives me a completely sacrificial ring for soaking up sharp edges. Again, as I've never run rings, I have no idea how strong they are. ie: will big hits still do any structural damage to the lip of the wheel with a regular ring, where the addition of a sacrificial bolt on ring may have helped?

If yer gonna do that.....make sure you countersink the bolts as much as possible, or you will either rip the bolts out, or damage the heads so much you won't be able to remove them.

It may be easier to get a DIY style beadlock kit like the ones Rockstomper or DIY sell, but just don't use it as a beadlock. That will get you the inner ring welded to the rim, and the outer ring for your sacrificial damage absorption. The way theirs installs, you don't cut the rim, and you can still use it as a regular rim from what I can tell. You would need shorter bolts tho, or maybe spacers, since you wouldn't have a tire bead between the rings.

All of this is gonna make your rims pretty heavy too.......

Last edited:
Ya know, I don't remember, and the only pics I have of those rims don't show the inside. I had them weld them on when I ordered, but if you are doing it, I see no reason why you can't weld both the inside & the outside.

If yer gonna do that.....make sure you countersink the bolts as much as possible, or you will either rip the bolts out, or damage the heads so much you won't be able to remove them.

It may be easier to get a DIY style beadlock kit like the ones Rockstomper or DIY sell, but just don't use it as a beadlock. That will get you the inner ring welded to the rim, and the outer ring for your sacrificial damage absorption. The way theirs installs, you don't cut the rim, and you can still use it as a regular rim from what I can tell. You would need shorter bolts tho, or maybe spacers, since you wouldn't have a tire bead between the rings.

All of this is gonna make your rims pretty heavy too.......

Yup. Not looking forward to the additional rotating mass, but any chance to add unsprung mass I'll take.
Still not decided on whether to go single or double ring (outside). Trying to find more carnage pictures of wheels with rock rings, as well as their specs (thickness). I feel like a 3/16" ring is probably more than sufficient for anything I'm likely to get my Jeep into, as ultimately it's a DD which really limits how far I can take the build. At this point, I think it's very nearly as far from streetable as I want to go (really don't feel like dealing with a VI and cops are coming down hard on any modifications lately).

If I do go with the sacrificial ring setup, I'll do a beveled counter sink and use some beveled torx or something to keep it all flush.
I think I'll probably just start with a single 3/16 or 1/4" ring, drill it for the sacrificial ring, but run without for a bit and beat the hell out of it.

You've already had issues with your tire tread being slightly different causing you to have troubles, and this is a DD. then you better hope you can weld good enough to keep the wheel pretty balanced. That's one reason why the $400 bead locks are $400, they're structurally sound and strong to use on roads and are balanced pretty good and that's what makes them DOT approved. So even if your cops are ticket happy, they couldn't give you a ticket or it would get thrown out of court

You've already had issues with your tire tread being slightly different causing you to have troubles, and this is a DD. then you better hope you can weld good enough to keep the wheel pretty balanced. That's one reason why the $400 bead locks are $400, they're structurally sound and strong to use on roads and are balanced pretty good and that's what makes them DOT approved. So even if your cops are ticket happy, they couldn't give you a ticket or it would get thrown out of court
Up here, everything is officially illegal, so a vi means you'll be off the road for a while no matter the condition or safety of your vehicle. Its best to just avoid getting tagged in the first place.

A 3/16 thick ring that is 1-1/2" tall would be many times stronger (at rims edge) than a 1/2" bar which is many times stronger than the stock lip. The additional rotating mass added either way is less than 1/2 the wheel diameter which is pretty decent. You could always start by balancing the rim alone and welding chunks on before mounting the tire. I guess DOT issue is still a dark shadow however.

Last edited:
I bought my full set rock rings plus spare from TMI (3/16" thick). Guys are great and patient especially if you want to do a custom design and are indecisive like I was. I balanced my tires with 8-10 oz of airsoft bbs and haven't had any issues yet. Pic of when everything was new. Only 1 Renofest trip on them now but I'm beyond happy so far.

11329861_10153408944769078_4107851083967961805_n.jpg

Back