• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scan gauge 2 goes to sleep with ignition on

law.74

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a scan gauge 2 about two months ago for my 00' sport but never got around to setting it up properly due to a busy schedule and the fact the unit went to sleep with the ignition on. I assumed that it was a setting that needed to be changed. I finally got around to messing with it again, but no dice.

I emailed the company about it and got this reply:

"The problem is in the vehicle. Some DCX vehicles will simply shut down the diagnostic link and refuse to respond to a re-initialization. This is in violation of the OBDII standard and they did correct the problem in later versions of the ECU programming.
It appears to be due to a combination of the ECU programming and the options in the vehicle. The problem only exists in a small percentage of DCX vehicles and sometimes goes away when the vehicle is reprogrammed.

At this time, no-one has found a way to get around the vehicle shutting down the link."

Anyone else encounter this issue?
Anyone reprogram the vehicle successfully, ie get the scan gauge to work?

I'd hate to pay a dealership to jack up the programming and still have the scan gauge not work.

Hmm I wonder.. I want to get one too but i dont want to spend the high price and it not work right.

derrickdrew17 said:
Hmm I wonder.. I want to get one too but i dont want to spend the high price and it not work right.

A possible way to find out if your vehicle is one of the few: I think Auto Zone stores will run a check for you if you have a code. I don't know if they'll do it if you don't, but you could ask. If you need a code, pull a sensor, make the engine throw a code, then plug it back in. The engine will run fine, with a code stored, and you can take it in to AZ and get it read. If their scanner reads it, I think you can assume that yours will too. My 99 and my son's 96 read fine, by the way.

As for the problem in the original post, I would call a dealer and see if it's a free recall or hidden warrantee item. Here in Vermont, annual inspection of OBDII cars requires an OBDII check. Obviously, a car with a disabled OBDII function cannot pass inspection, and this is not a malfunction but a defect. I would bitch and gripe and kick the problem upstairs until somebody fixes it free.

Matthew Currie said:
A possible way to find out if your vehicle is one of the few: I think Auto Zone stores will run a check for you if you have a code. I don't know if they'll do it if you don't, but you could ask. If you need a code, pull a sensor, make the engine throw a code, then plug it back in. The engine will run fine, with a code stored, and you can take it in to AZ and get it read. If their scanner reads it, I think you can assume that yours will too. My 99 and my son's 96 read fine, by the way.

Thank you for your response.
The problem isn't that the OBDII link is dead, but that it disconnects itself from the reader. I can still search for codes and get sensor information. It just won't continue to collect the information necessary to act as a trip computer.

If it is in violation of OBD-II standard, I wouldn't think that you'd have to pay to have the dealer reprogram it. I would think that they would have to reprogram it for free, in accordance with the law. :dunno:

Back