• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SBEC to OBD-II

tardin

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone! I have a difficult for me question! I have 4.0 amc 242 engine on my jeep cherokee 1992 and I want to build a turbo engine. I have found lost of experience here but didn't find any information about ecu. All projects that I found was built on 1999+ years so the have OBD-II controllers and can use lost of piggy ecu's. But I have no OBD-II. I have SBEC. So can you help me to build car of my dreams?) What should I do? Will SBEC and turbo work well? Or maybe I should replace SBEC and install OBD-II controller? And how can I do it? What else than controller I need to change?
Thanks.

I see no reason for the AEM F/IC not to work. I installed a Sprintex Supercharger into a 1993 YJ and used the F/IC6. No more difficult than it was to install into my 1998.

If memory serves, the '93 YJ also is SBEC, yes?

One thing though. We wound up replacing the variable fuel pressure idea the the YJ came with. Instead, we used a GM pressure regulator and set it to operate at 49psi. Made the tuning infinitely easier. Pump was replaced as well. Do not remember the part numbers though...

Yes. As I know, all Jeeps until 1998 have SBEC. Your answer really helps, now I'll try to understand right wire connecting of F/IC. (Which wire to which wire). If anyone can help me, I'll be really happy)) However, if I'll find this information, I'll post it here.

Thanks again, Vladimir.

Thing is, regardless of the actual controller involved, the signals are identical.

The list is:
Throttle Position Sensor
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor
Fuel Injectors
Power (2)
Grounds (3)

IMO, find a FSM. I have had good luck finding them on eBay. Like I said, I installed a F/IC into a '19 YJ which has the very same controller as your Heep does. No issues were encountered. Just make sure to get the F/IC 6 that is Chrysler rated. If memory serves, it is part number 30-1913. Check Amazon for the part as they usually have the best price.

I am not sure about export market but here in the states, SBEC was used until 1995, all 1996 and later use JTEC or JTEC+ ECUs.

a 1919 YJ?? They were really ahead of the times on that one.....:rof::rof:

(1993 is what I think he meant)

Yah, yah.... Another Senior Moment from the Old Guy. Thanks for jumping right on that............. No, really...........Thanks..................

Yes, a 1993 YJ... You guys are killing me....

In truth, the F/IC can not possibly care less about which controller it is wired into. It just processes the signals it gets per it's programming. Given that all engine computers operate on TTL voltages (+5VDc) it matters not what computer it is wired into.

Easy to install if you can solder and even easier to program. I run my programs in "percent" mode as I find it easier. If the mixture has an AFR of 13 and it needs to be 14.7, then a correction of 88.43% of the current cell value is the new number. The math is easy, in this example, 13/14.7*current value = new value for that cell location. Values lower than 14.7 indicate a rich mixture and higer than 14.7 a lean mixture. If you are going to err. err on the rich side as a lean engine, under boost, is a bomb getting ready to explode.

The fuel values in the table will, most likely, all be negative depending upon the size of the new injectors installed. It is a certainty that the ignition table will only contain Zeros and negative numbers. It is impossible to advance the spark with a F/IC, only retard it. Which is what you want under boost. Rule of thumb being one degree per pound of boost.

The only "tricky" portion of the F/IC programming is the pressure reference. The F/IC operates, as does the stock PCM for that matter, in PSIa. This is pounds per square inch, absolute. Not gauge pressure with is a relative measurement. Still, it is easy once the concept is grasped. Sea level is 14.7 PSIa on average. Up here where I live, the ambient average is closer to 12.5 PSIa. But then, I live above 6,000' altitude.

For interest reasons only... At sea level, when a pressure gauge on an air compressor is reading 100PSIg, the absolute pressure is 100 plus the current ambient. Given that 14.7 is the "norm, then the absolute pressure in this example would be 114.7 PSIa. PSIg = gauge pressure.

But... Ambient pressure changes constantly with the weather. I.e. low and high pressure weather cells alter the ambient hour by hour.

But, back to the OP question, here is what I believe to be an accurate wire listing:

Signal Name PCM Connector Pin Wire Color Connection Type
Crank Shaft Position 24 Grey/Black Interrupt
Camshaft Position 44 Tan/Yellow Interrupt
Injector 1 16 White/Dark Blue Interrupt
Injector 2 15 Tan Interrupt
Injector 3 14 Yellow/White Interrupt
Injector 4 13 Light Blue/Brown Interrupt
Injector 5 38 Pink/Black Interrupt
Injector 6 58 Light Green/Black Interrupt
Switched 12VDc XX Need to verify Tee
Throttle Position 22 Orange/Dark Blue Tee
Power Ground 11 Black Tee
Power Ground 12 Black Tee
Signal Ground 4 Black/Light Blue Tee

This needs to be confirmed. I found it lurking in my F/IC folder her on my computer. As the file name is "YJ Wire List" I suspect it to be accurate as I did wire the YJ in question...

But, please confirm prior to usage.

Hope this helps.

Back