• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saved one from the junk yard yesterday

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm cruising my local Craigslist looking for some used tires and come across an add for a Cherokee -- 96, 2wheel drive, 136,000 miles -- pictures look OK -- Notice it's local to me -- I decide to send a text asking if I can come see it

This is wednesday night, raining, temps dropping -- just nasty out -- He tells me he has someone scheduled to come get it Thursday morning from the local junkyard -- Says if you want to see it you have to come tonight (wednesday)

Turns out that it's a soldier who's being deployed on Friday -- has to sell -- He won't be back for a year -- nobody in his household wants it

He's a really decent kid, 25 years old -- His 1st deployment -- we sat in his jeep and talked for awhile

Anyway, I bought it -- He needed the money, I didn't need the jeep but no way I was going to let this go to the junkyard -- they would have resold it for way too much anyway

So I just wanted a little backstory posted here -- I'm going to list it in the classifieds here -- see if someone wants it for a reasonable price -- It runs great, drives great, minimal rust from what I can see in this arctic weather -- would make someone a decent jeep as is -- easily make it 4 wheel drive

Enough talk, here are some pictures

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I figure I'm gonna give it a week before I decide to keep it -- It's got 100,000 less miles than my current 2000 XJ

Today I was looking at a 95 suburban I have that I did a straight axle swap on -- High pinion Dana 44 from a late 70's ford front axle -- and a full float 14 bolt rear -- thinking about how the 2wd XJ would look sitting on those axles -- I did have the suburban listed on Craigs last year -- Got a few interested but nobody wanted to pay me for it -- problem is when I look at it I see the cost of all the parts that I put into it

doesn't make any sense to sell the burb for $3500 then go out and spend $6500 on parts to make the XJ interesting -- should just use the parts I already have

anyway, I'm just rambling on here -- Like I said, I'll give it a week

Been thinking about it all week — I’m going to title and register it tomorrow

Think I’m going to leave 2wd and drive it some — see what kind of mileage I can get out of it

It’s in too good of shape to let it just sit

Back