• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Save TDS/Truckhaven from being bought by the greenies

Hmmmm...where do I start.
Lets just say that if anyone tells you they know what is going on, or is going to happen at Truckhaven, they are missinformned.
I can give some insight here.
Truckhaven (the land that we use for the TDS event) is not for sale.
We already own it. BLM most of it. But.....a large area of privately held land near and around Truckhaven was going to be sold, be it to commercial developers or conservation groups or whomever. The Green sticker fund has the money, most of it, The Anza Borrego Foundation (ya' think I'm a member ;) ) was charged with finding additional funding to complete the purchase.
Because the purchase has been a 'group effert' no determination has been made to who or even how the land will be managed.
We have three groups interested in it.
OCSVRA would love to have the land, no dought, but who would pay for the additional rangers, maintenance etc.?
ABF would love to add the land to the State Park, same problems with costs but the State Park has always held the notion that 'lets just get our hands on it then worry about how to manage it later'.....
The Martinez Indian Tribe claims there is ancient sacred land involved in this purchase. This shouldn't be a suprise. The Indians have inhabited the valley for a long long time.
What off-roaders have on our side; its our money. The land has been used for off-road activities for over 50 years and compromise (yes I used that word!) seems to be in the air.
Lets face it, there is no necesity for any one group to have there way here.
One possible solution is that the land currently being used for off-roading remain in that capacity. Some land that is further up the valley and nearer the mountains would be handed over to the state park, and the Indians would possibly get control over 'sacred' sites (although I don't believe that has ever happened before.)
By all meens let your represenatives know what you think, let our state senators (evironmentalists both of them) let the Govenors office know.
But having said that....it maybe sometime before any proposal is put forth for the management of this land.
I'm not saying I know exactly what is happening either, I only hope that this time level heads prevail and a good plan is put forth.
Rick R:patriot:

thanks for the overview, I was unaware of the land issues there.

however, this specific topic isn't so much about the big picture as it is about stopping just one fund-raiser the greenies are doing to try and purchase this land. the people hosting the meeting will cancel it if they hear a bunch of pro-OHV are going to show up.

I hope that land development or whatever doesnt get too crazy that ends up closing Truckhaven. Thats my favorite spot to wheel!

I like how it was mentioned on pirate that "offraders aren't invited"

They won't give up. When was the last time any
anti-access group gave up? :dunno:
But....I think I can keep this group informned as
to whats up. At least I will try.
But I do need to clairify a prior point. I had
mentioned that they were using 'our' money to puchase
the land. What I meant was they were going to use Green Sticker money
to buy the land. Believe it or not but there is a formula that is
used to designate an amount that we spend on gas taxes that
is alloted to the account based on estimates of how much fuel steet registered vehicles drive off-road. Did that make any sense?
If you understand that one, you should know that also opens
up the possibility that this land would be designated steet registered
vehicles only...and still be under the jurisdiction of OWSVRA.
Lets win this one people....
let your congressman know that you support the use of gree sticker funds
to purchase the land.
Rick R:sunshine:

Back