• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

S10 Bastard Pack

1990heepxj said:
basically if you really think the xj is going to completely flatten those leafs under torque then go ahead and leave it there but its still not going to effect your axle wrap

i absolutely agree, an overload spring will have no effect on axle wrap. in my mind having the s-10 main leaf would actually help axle more as it is helping to stiffen the spring. stiffer spring = less axle wrap

Ok, here is what I am thinking. I am going to go with the Cherokee Main, S10 Main, S10 first and second. Leave the overload off for now until I figure out the lift height stuff. As for the front I am looking at three options, Rustys 3 inch springs plus coil spacers to get stuff even if necessary, rustys 4.5 inch spring and hope for an even lift (I dont really want to do shackles) or thunderbird v6 coils (Kind of more of a PITA that I dont really want to do but it would match the homebrew rear and be a bit cheaper). What do you guys think.

i left my overload in using s10 blazer main leaf as the main and a s10 pickup leaf pack including main with the eyes cut off and just ditched the jeep leafs all together, the overload acts like a bumpstop stopping the 33s 1/2 in away from the fender, the blazer leaf slides the rear end back about 1 inch, so you need to lengthen driveshaft but it works awesome offroad

i ran a 2wd 80's s10 bastard pack. i kept the over load, set me about 5". flexed like crap until i took the overload out.

word to the wise. if you plan on using the s10 main leaf, get as much length as you possibly can out of it when you cut the ears off. otherwise it wont support the xj main very well and you wind up bending the xj leaf.

i used a leaf pack out of an 80s ford ranger, replaced my main two leafs and kept the 2.5" RE aal and it netted about 4 or so inches of lift

the 80s s10/blazer packs have a higher spring rate and 5 leafs i believe not including overload, and the newer ones are only 3 leafs and an overload. im running the 3 leaf one with no overload and an xj main and got about 3-3.5 out of it, works out perfect for my setup

A friend of mine gave me the old S-10 packs he had used in his Jimmy. We cut off the main eyes and used the entire pack plus the add a leaf he had put in there for more lift in the Jimmy. Without the helper spring it sat way too low to match the Rough Country 4.5" springs we put in up front. Putting that helper spring back in got my just about 5" of lift. The S-10 leaves were pretty well used and abused when he had them in his Jimmy which makes them flex really nice on my XJ. It is still kind of stiff, but under load it will be fine. Plus I will still be putting a rear bumper on (custom one) which will add to the weight and make the flex better.

Just a tip, I searched forever to find this (no decent calipers or anything to measure with, plus they were already installed) The bolt size is 3/8" on the S-10 packs so you will have to re-drill the XJ main leaf to that.

Best of luck with your build.

Paint

Because my shackles were in such bad shape I replaced them with 1.5" lift RE boomerang shackles. I then used the Cherokee Main, S10 Main, and the S10 first leaf. I left out the second S10 leaf and S10 overload. I netted around 3.5" of lift (from stock ride height). The rear end is very smooth on road and tows 1500 pounds very well. I have not been off road yet because I still need a little more lift in the front.

Back