• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

S-10 Blazer tire carrier tube doors

Great job! just a idea.. couldn't you use a latch from a cherokee ? pick one up while your at the bone yard? nice job

I didn't want to try to dig a latch out from inside a door. Plus the latch I used came with the carriers. I used what I had available.

I'm not looking for tube doors but I have a 2-door I can get measurements from so you know what to look for.

How easy is it to swap the doors in and out or don't you bother?

Measurements would be good- from the hinge to the striker if possible.

It was quite easy to modify my door hinges to make the doors removable. I followed the many write up on the forums to do it- cut the bottom third of the hinge off. Now removing my doors is a simple matter of disconnecting the wiring and pulling it through (I have power mirrors, windows, locks so there is a lot more to disconnect and pull through compared to a all manual door) and removing the rubber boot from the door jam. Remove the roll pin from the assist arm and move the assist arm above its door jam mount. Now lift straight up and my door is off.

It takes me less than 5 minutes to get my doors off. The wiring is the part that takes me the longest. Putting the doors back on takes about 10 minutes. Removing the doors on a 2 door is the same, but is a little more awkward because of the size and weight of the longer door.

Thats one of the best uses of an S-10 that I have ever seen!

First off, these look good & are a nice idea.
Here's what I did; go to HF & get a bender on sale for $70 (less than the price of two tire carriers @ the bone yard), get two gate latches & lowes, & get some cheap tube steel at wherever's cheap & close to you. If you have a buddy with an XJ, go in halfs on the materilas & make each of ya a set in a day.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/jfiscus/Custom Fab/Tube Doors/
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/jfiscus/Custom Fab/Tube Doors B/
These worked so good you could jump up & down on them or climb on them for access to the roof.
Haspin3-22-08020.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

great idea i just did this mod and went to the bone yard and got both tire carriers for $25 and stoped at the scrap metal yard and got the angel for $2 (scrap) and stoped at Lowes and got 1 can of black spray paint 4 pins and 2 6ft peaces of pipe foam for the top rails $12 at lowes so for a total of $39 i have a nice set of tube doors u can beat that price oh yea and about 4 hours of labor including removing my factory doors

Back