• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's rear disc kit?

Summit appears to have the same kit for $333 and it is from Teraflex.
It is missing the soft lines so add another $40 or so.
That still $75 less than Rusty's and Summit's reputation is better.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...54400&view=1&N=700+150+4294922533+4294839009+

None of the kits include parking brake cables.

That price is for part number 004354400

A few weeks ago I explored this. I called terra flex. For my '99 XJ I need part number 4354420 Summit has it, but it's not $333 it's $628.95

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TMI-004354420&N=700+115&autoview=sku

That price is for part number 004354400

A few weeks ago I explored this. I called terra flex. For my '99 XJ I need part number 4354420 Summit has it, but it's not $333 it's $628.95

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TMI-004354420&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Summit does show two different kits, one with hoses, one without.
Must be a 'special' type of hose for an extra $296<g>.
Try ordering the $333 kit on-line and see what happens. What do you have to lose?
http://tinyurl.com/dbd5xz

I bought used ZJ rear discs at the local pick-a-pick for $50 on a half off day. Got all the parts including the studs and proportioning valve. The parking brake parts were in good shape so only the rotors, pads and calipers needed replacing with new parts for a cost of about $200. The rear rotors were in decent shape and could have been reused but I wanted to start fresh. Total cost-$250
So, with a little careful shopping, you could do it on the cheap for $200, or a whole lot less, if you reuse everything. Personally, brakes are not something I care to take chances with or try to save a buck on. Our XJ's brakes are already stressed with the extra weight and oversize tires and wheels.

Thanks Guys:cheers:

How much do you think I would spend on pick and pull parts?

I've not done much pick n pull here on Long Island, but if it's like other stuff, it will be quite a bit more than what I'd pay in Florida or by you. I mean if I could source every thing I needed in one day for 200 bucks, I'd do it. I just dont think that's the case around here...

How much would it be if I sourced new parts?

As to Rusty's I've on two occasions, spent some time talking with him on the phone with him, seems decent enough. I know some folks who have had good luck with him too. If I ordered from him, I'd let him know I've herd some "bad things" and let him know that at the drop of a hat I would call Visa and start a charge back. Sort of very politely, of course, put him on notice. That has worked well for me in the past with guys I was worried about.

It didn't take you long to jump on the band wagon...2 replies and your sold?

The words in the above quote will need to be eaten, in the not so distant future.......

Rusty is only reselling the brake kit, so it's probably OK.

Google: crown jeep disc brake kit

x2

Summit does show two different kits, one with hoses, one without.
Must be a 'special' type of hose for an extra $296<g>.
Try ordering the $333 kit on-line and see what happens. What do you have to lose?
http://tinyurl.com/dbd5xz

From the link you posted.
"Designed for big Ford housing ends."

According to one of the other threads, the cheaper kit is for 8.8/9" rears.

Anyone able to corroborate that?
(I don't know jack about any of the Vic, Ranger, or Exploder rears, nor what might be required to make parts from one work on an XJ)

Go to the $333 page and click on 'Applications'.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TMI-004354400&view=32&N=700+4294922533+4294839009

It shows the kit is for 1984-2001 XJs with either a D35 or 8.25 axle.
I'm not sure what all this really means and was pointing out what may be the best deal on new parts. It would seem worth investigating.

The "Designed for big Ford housing ends" may mean the backing plates are actually from a Ford Crown Vic, which already has the bigger hole in the backing plate and does not need to be opened up to fit a D35 or 8.25 axle.
The Crown Vic disc brakes are another choice for rear disc brakes on XJs. They are almost identical to the ZJ brakes.

Rather than asking us how much it'll cost, start looking. Search ZJ disc swap. Make a list of parts needed, then hit the web and phones.

Looking is the only way to really do it on the cheap. Call around and get the 10 year old crap and use it as cores (calipers for example).

I paid like $90 or so for plates, cables, calipers, e-brake hardware, (complete assemblies from axle tube out basically) shipped from a yard in charlotte (no decent pick and pulls anywhere near me). Though I found that yard through my local 4x4 shop, car-part.com is a great way to find cheap places.

Used the old calipers as cores (something like $30ea after core), got new e-brake hdware kits, pads ($15) ZJ softlines ($40), rotors ($30 ea) I don't recall my exact price but I remember coming out at just over $250 including hardware and the RTF to seal back up the diff and if it was a moving part, it was replaced new. That was 2 years ago but I can't imagine prices have changed that much.

To be fair, I never bothered to hook up the e-brakes. Didn't work up a way to join the ZJ cables to the XJ cable splitter so I guess that can go 2 ways- That would be more time spent but I could also deduct another $12 or so for the spring kits I didn't need to buy.

To me, its got all new parts, I put it together and saved about $100-$200. I don't think I spent $100 of my time in locating the parts, I probably didn't spend more than 2 total hours sourcing and picking up parts. Seems worth making a couple of phonecalls and websearches before just buying a kit.

EDIT: Wow, my numbers were all wrong... Checked back, paid more than that for the junkyard parts, I came out at like $280 total. I did the swap on one of my employees vehicles too though and his came out a bit cheaper ($30 or so) than mine...

Last edited:
Re: "band wagons"

It didn't take you long to jump on the band wagon...2 replies and your sold?

First, thanks for your in put.

I don't jump on "band wagons" one way or the other.

I make educated decisions based on research and personal inquiry.

My cautious willingness to do business with Rusty is not just based on two replies.

gPlease re-read my post.

From the link you posted.
"Designed for big Ford housing ends."

According to one of the other threads, the cheaper kit is for 8.8/9" rears.

Anyone able to corroborate that?
(I don't know jack about any of the Vic, Ranger, or Exploder rears, nor what might be required to make parts from one work on an XJ)

Yes, I will.

I took the time to research both Teraflex and Summit.
Summit uses the Teraflex part numbers, so I called Summit and inquired about applications. The Summit guy just read the web info back to me. Next, I spoke with some one at Teraflex. They indeed confirmed that the part was incorrectly listed at Summit and it was a Ford application.
He further stated that, in his opinion, Summit frequently mislabels applications...

i did 2 d44's via this http://www.jeepin.com/features/cvdiscs/ . using junkyard parts...
BOTH came out really nice,

the "15-20 year old parts" are stuff like backing plates and core calipers, nobody is telling you to run JY rotors/pads/calipers... so cut the BS that junkyard stuff isnt good enough for YOUR jeep

my advice? stay away from the kits.... peice it together yourself, with the stuff you want.

btw. dig your signature quote!

i did 2 d44's via this http://www.jeepin.com/features/cvdiscs/ . using junkyard parts...
BOTH came out really nice,

the "15-20 year old parts" are stuff like backing plates and core calipers, nobody is telling you to run JY rotors/pads/calipers... so cut the BS that junkyard stuff isnt good enough for YOUR jeep

my advice? stay away from the kits.... peice it together yourself, with the stuff you want.

btw. dig your signature quote!

Thanks for the link, nice write up.

I'll probably go with a kit. As it is I'll have a hard time just finding time to do the install.

Yes, I know what you mean about the junk yards :cheers:
I pretty much built a few very high performance street cars primarily from junk yard parts. To my knowledge they are still running around on the streets making their owners happy

the backing plates are actually from a Ford Crown Vic, which already has the bigger hole in the backing plate and does not need to be opened up to fit a D35 or 8.25 axle.

The CV backing plates & rotors both need to opened up for the 8.25. I used a set from a 94 CV & 95/96's are the same. JIM.

Re: Crown rear disc kit?

I looked around the Crown site and it was not readily apparent that there was a rear disc kit for the XJ...
I might be dumb...

http://www.crownsupport.net/downloads/ they will be upgrading the old website soon to a much better format.

comanche91 said:
I googled crown jeep disc brake kit; still could not find what pads/calipers/rotors Crown uses in their kit. I'd have to know that....

Brand names on pads & rotors aren't listed as the parts are sourced directly from the manufacturers. It is all new ZJ parts, stock replacement, down to the calipers & backing plates with all the hardware. That is where the price comes from as it isn't rebuilt stuff, all brand new. To some people, that's important, to others, not so much. I have personally seen the kits and they are good quality fwiw.

Brand names on pads & rotors aren't listed as the parts are sourced directly from the manufacturers. It is all new ZJ parts, stock replacement, down to the calipers & backing plates with all the hardware. That is where the price comes from as it isn't rebuilt stuff, all brand new. To some people, that's important, to others, not so much. I have personally seen the kits and they are good quality fwiw.

Not interested in brand names, just the application. So you're saying any year ZJ pad, rotor, caliper, etc. is a valid replacement part for this kit?

http://www.crownsupport.net/downloads/ they will be upgrading the old website soon to a much better format.

Are you sure? I installed a Rusty's rear disc conversion on my 97 two days ago. I looked up calipers for a ZJ, WJ, 94, and 97 explorer and none matched. They were all much larger. The Crown calipers are TINY and my fronts still do most the stopping (still nose dives) I'm going to put an adjustable proportioning valve in it after I figure out which end locks up first without the proportioning valve if they are way off. You want the front end to lock up just before the back end.

The rotors on Crowns (Rusty's) kit are or clase to the explorer rear discs (within a MM of each other)

Also, my 97 E-brake setup is WAY different then what they supplied the cables for. Now I have to return them and mod my stock stuff. (looks simple enough and I'll post the results with pictures)

If I could figure out what the pads and calipers are off of, I'd say "i'd buy it again", but untill then, I think I'd look for a liberty 8.25 and scalp it of the brake parts.

I don't think I spent $100 of my time in locating the parts, I probably didn't spend more than 2 total hours sourcing and picking up parts.

Thats where I had my issue. Time is money when in school (constantly studying and trying to keep up with home life). The money was there but time was not, and reliability was the name of the game. I will say you probably have a lot better stopping rig them mine due to the time spent (ZJ calipers are larger then rusty's)

Back