• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's NEW Steering Conversion

Ive seen workable homebrew stuff that was much scrawnier than that

SV1CEC said:
Is anyone using these conversions?

I will soon need to order a new steering setup and these look very good. My only worries for an over-the-knuckle setup, is iif it will clear all the other pieces on the exle, like sway bar mounts etc.

Any ideas?

Tnx and rgds

It probably won't when you put the Tierod over the knuckle it's almost guaranteed to get into the sway bar tab, and maybe even the steering stablizer/tracbar mount.

SV1CEC said:
Is anyone using these conversions?

I will soon need to order a new steering setup and these look very good. My only worries for an over-the-knuckle setup, is iif it will clear all the other pieces on the exle, like sway bar mounts etc.

Any ideas?

Tnx and rgds

DUH.. the sway bar extension are History...

you coudl weld a piece of 1/2in thick 1in wide plate to the top of your top knuckle ear then make you sway bar disconnects shorter. if ther shorter they will be stronger...

then you will need to raise your track bar axle end mount to matcht the hieght of the drag link so the drag linka nd track bar ar parell.

Also with the tierod over the knuckel and using a Rubiconexpress or Rustys Frame end track bar bracket you will need to shift yoru axle forward like 1in to clear the bracket.

The teara knuckle kit I think is the best steering solution available.. check it out...

Here is a pic of rocksurfs steering... The track bar mount is custom.
Thats Tera's new knuckel for a high drag link. you coudl run your tierod comming in from the top...

Ashman and XJ4rocks,

Thanks for taking the time to answer, sincerely appreciated.

However, I think that I should give up with the over-the-knuckle type. This requires a lot of fabrication, and in this country, there aren't too many shops I could trust to do this kind of "operation" on my axle and steering.

As a side note, my dreadfull steering problems seem to be cured. Believe it or not, the reason was the TRE at the end of Rusty's trackbar. Last Friday, I replaced that with the bushing end and the appropriate mount, and did an alignment job as well. The truck now feels very solid and the steering is much more precise. There is a barely noticeable tendency to wander, which might be due to one of the ball joints, I'll have to replace that one I guess. And my caster is only 6 degrees (I wanted to make sure it didn't create any problems with my pinion angle), so I think the steering will be more improved, if I take that to 7.

As for a steering improvement, I am leaning towards Zion Dunn's solution (you may check it out at http://www.xjworld.4wdriver.com/
, I think it can be made at a very reasonable cost (Zion is willing to make one for me, I do not have access to any fabrication equipment, nor to such parts) and it is a bolt-on replacement of the original setup.

Again, many thanks and kind regards

Back