• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys In-Cab Rollover Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya that guy before is an idiot..the show bar would offer a little more protection..i am starting to get some ideas for a cage on an XJ..any tried and true designs that work well with a sleeved frame? send the links my way

thanks

kenny

you wanna see what a roll can do to a cherokee? just go to pick a part, and when a xj is all taped off and biohazzard is written all over it and you look in the window and see all the blood stains, a cage begins to look really good all of a sudden.

you're missing my point. yes, i have seen that before. that is offroading. but a wrangler factory cage would hold up to that, right? if you want to be a smartass, why don't you take most aftermarket xj cages, and get in and drive it off el capitan? i said that a stock xj driven on road would be much safer with that bar tied in. the same idea behind the stock cage on a tj. and yes, i have seen biohazard marked xj's. i live 15 miniutes from an active scrapyard that recycles them. why don't you just tell everyone that no seatbelt is safe on the road? did it ever occur to you that somebody might read this thread, go out and buy their wife or teenage daughter this bar; who doesn't modify it and drive it offroad? hell, that bar could save a life or two.
"everyone is now dumber for reading what you wrote."

Ive said it before and I'll say it again. The idea that something is better than nothing when it comes to roll protection is retarded. There is a good chance that a flop on the side (which is the most likely what will happen if you get a little out of hand) could buckle a single bar with no gussets, then you have a big piece of metal ready to hit you in the head or impail you. Go with a full cage, nothing else is worth the time or money. Cages are supposed to keep you safe why do people insist on taking shortcuts with their lives? As for the strength of the wrangler roll bar, its not much better than an xj's roof. They are there to hold the soft top up not much else.

CW said:
The idea that something is better than nothing when it comes to roll protection is retarded...

I guess by your logic we could say "nothing is better than something".

Common sense would tell you that if you add 50% to 100% more steel in the b-pillar area, you will strengthen that area by 50% to 100%.

xuv-this said:
you're missing my point. yes, i have seen that before. that is offroading. but a wrangler factory cage would hold up to that, right? if you want to be a smartass, why don't you take most aftermarket xj cages, and get in and drive it off el capitan? i said that a stock xj driven on road would be much safer with that bar tied in. the same idea behind the stock cage on a tj. and yes, i have seen biohazard marked xj's. i live 15 miniutes from an active scrapyard that recycles them. why don't you just tell everyone that no seatbelt is safe on the road? did it ever occur to you that somebody might read this thread, go out and buy their wife or teenage daughter this bar; who doesn't modify it and drive it offroad? hell, that bar could save a life or two.
"everyone is now dumber for reading what you wrote."

i think YOU missed the point....someone as smart as you was trying to say something about how an XJs cab is strong enough. i tihnk what a few people have said would be a good point for you to look at, you almost prove what they say as your trying to make a point, that "roll bar" is better than nothing, but its not going to hold up in a really dangerous situation, like a real roll over. no doubt its going to help, but if a guy is wheeling around thinkin oh ya man i dont have to worry as much if i roll, the good ole bar right here will help me, then he is in for a disapointing suprise and would you want that on you because you told the guy, "hey man this bars better than nothing," cause mabey without the bar he would have backed down or tried a different line.

NHscrambler said:
If you are worried about rollovers I would save your money and buy a 5 piont saftey harness.

Without a cage where would you mount the 5 points? i have 5 points and i cant install them without, at the very least a roll bar like rustys.

xXJx said:
i think YOU missed the point....someone as smart as you was trying to say something about how an XJs cab is strong enough. i tihnk what a few people have said would be a good point for you to look at, you almost prove what they say as your trying to make a point, that "roll bar" is better than nothing, but its not going to hold up in a really dangerous situation, like a real roll over. no doubt its going to help, but if a guy is wheeling around thinkin oh ya man i dont have to worry as much if i roll, the good ole bar right here will help me, then he is in for a disapointing suprise and would you want that on you because you told the guy, "hey man this bars better than nothing," cause mabey without the bar he would have backed down or tried a different line.
you're still missing the point!!! i am not talking about the same thing you are. to further clarify, here's a scenario where the bar would be useful:
1) it's march. it has rained all day, and the sun goes down. the temp drops. the road starts to freeze in places. little 16 year old suzie has a fight with her boyfriend. she gets all upset, and runs out to her 91 xj crying. she drives home, still very upset and not paying attention to the changing condition of the road.
as she goes over a bridge, she hits an icy spot. she overcompensates, her jeep swaps ends coming off the bridge, goes into a ditch, and the next thing she knows, little suzie is on her side/roof. <pause> NOW if she was YOUR girlfriend or daughter, would you rather have the bar? nope. <play> the first thing to hit is the top front a piller corner. it crushes as the vehicle rolls "through" it. now the b piller hits. not having the bar, it crushes all the way down, on suzie's shoulder and head. now suzie is upside down, has a fractured clavicle, a concussion, is unconscious, bleeding, going into shock, and trapped in the vehicle.
if she had the bar, the b piller could have still pushed back some, but the bar attached to it would take the brunt of the weight, and prevent it from crushing DOWN TO THE DOORSILL (and FYI i bet that most of the people here with cages have their hoops made out of the same stuff as that). she would at least of had no crushed shoulder, and a good chance at still being conscious, and have a lot better chance of being able to crawl out. now i bet you wish she had the bar. but she didn't.
we have well established the fact that this bar is not for offroading. just like the factory cage on a wrangler. yes somebody could very well take it offroading with a "false sense of security" but you obviously don't understand that the same person could do that other things, too. (winch, locker, lift, u-name-it.)and get into a dangerous situation. that's the fault of the person. not the product.
i stand by everything i wrote, and sincerly hope that you will someday understand.:us:

CW said:
Ive said it before and I'll say it again. The idea that something is better than nothing when it comes to roll protection is retarded. There is a good chance that a flop on the side (which is the most likely what will happen if you get a little out of hand) could buckle a single bar with no gussets,
if that bar buckles from enough force while not offroading, you're dead anyway.
CW said:
then you have a big piece of metal ready to hit you in the head or impail you.
what do you think happens in a rollover w/o a bar or cage? really, i do understand what you're getting at; but this is the same stuff that most people use in their cages. yes it will bend some, but imagine what the vehicle would look like if it was impacted hard enough to break THAT... this is the same exact thing as the seatbelt fallacy. "but i heard that this guy was killed by his seatbelt" yup. in something really bad, where he would be dead anyway. the seatbelt just snapped his neck, saving him from crushing his head on concrete when he hit a wall doing 90. if a side impact forced that bar to buckle and push a couple ribs into your lungs; imagine what you(and your xj) would look like without it "softening" the blow.
CW said:
Go with a full cage, nothing else is worth the time or money.
if you are offroading your jeep; agreed.
CW said:
Cages are supposed to keep you safe why do people insist on taking shortcuts with their lives?
because mabye(see above post) suzies father doesn't have the $$$ for a rock-ready rollcage in in his daughters first car.
CW said:
They are there to hold the soft top up not much else.
oh, right. i forgot that magical thing about wranglers that makes them magically exempt from DOT regs. yeah. go to the dealer and ask them about the "no cage" option. but i'm retarded.....

forthermore, i have already put my xj on it's side. i have a younger brother who will be 16 soon. he wants an xj. the first thing i am going to help him do is build a similar bar. granted it will have a pair of "mini kickers" tied into the upper frame/lca mount bracket, but this will be a good start upon which to build a full cage, as i anticipate that he will want to modify it further.

BIGoffroadXJ said:
Without a cage where would you mount the 5 points? i have 5 points and i cant install them without, at the very least a roll bar like rustys.
you don't want to do that without a full cage. it is very dangerous. on my cage, i have a diagonal brace that starts at the top on the drivers' side. that way the passenger can still recline their seat. the passenger harness is a 3-point, bolted in WITH the factory lap belt. i use a $5 climbing carabiner attached to the shoulder belt Y tab. i clip it to homemade steel bracket tied in with the rear seat top seatbelt tab screw. it is unhooked for daily use, so as not to be in the way of rear passengers. BUT PLEASE HEED THIS: you don't want to do that without a full cage. it is very dangerous. hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back