• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Flowmaster 50 Catback Exhaust Sound Clips and Impressions

92westshady

NAXJA Forum User
Exhaust Sound Clip Recording
Rusty’s Off-Road Cat Back Exhaust System (Part # XJFM-50)
with Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Muffler

Vehicle Information
2000 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L Inline Six with AW4 Automatic Transmission
67,000 Miles

Engine Modifications at Time of Recording
Rusty’s Intake Tube
9” AEM DryFlow High Flow Cone Filter
Edge Trail Jammer 62mm Throttle Body and Power Programmer

Recording and Sound Clip Information
These sound clips were taken using the built-in microphone on my iRiver IFP-999. Both sets of sound clips were taken on the same day with the vehicle and recording device in approximately the same location. The vehicle was parked in my driveway outdoors and the recording device was place on a step stool about two feet off the ground for all but the inside recordings which were taken with the recording device positioned on the passenger seat.

Recording Notes
Please keep in mind the IFP-999 mp3 player used to record these clips is not a high quality recording device but it worked okay for this task. When comparing the recordings to my in personal perception I can say that the stock clips accurately portray the sound of the exhaust system as heard in person. On the other hand unfortunately the deep tone of the Flowmaster 50 Series muffler is not portrayed as well. In fact the exhaust comes across much harsher and resonant in the clips than it actually sounds in person. The “8 Feet Away Side” clip is the most accurate representation for the sound but during the engine revving portion it sounds much louder on the clip than it actually is in person. My only guess is that the microphone on the IFP-999 cannot accurately record the low bass tones of the exhaust.

Sound Clips
Clip 1. Stock Exhaust 3 Feet Behind
http://sjzych.googlepages.com/01-3FeetBehindStock.mp3

Clip 2. Stock Exhaust 8 Feet to Side
http://sjzych.googlepages.com/03-8FeetSideStock.mp3

Clip 3. Stock Inside
http://sjzych.googlepages.com/04-InsideStock.mp3

Clip 4. 3 Feet Behind Flowmaster 50
http://sjzych.googlepages.com/01-3FeetBehindFlowmaster50.mp3

Clip 5. 8 Feet Side Flowmaster 50
http://sjzych.googlepages.com/03-8FeetSideFlowmaster50.mp3

Clip 6. Inside Flowmaster 50
http://sjzych.googlepages.com/04-InsideFlowmaster50.mp3

Impressions and Conclusion
Keep in mind that if I could get all the performance gains of engine and exhaust modifications without any increase in noise I would be very happy, but the reality is that almost all modifications to the Jeep 4.0L engine increase engine and/or exhaust noise to some degree. Truth is most Jeeps including the Cherokee aren’t known for being exceptionally quiet and they don’t pretend to be either so a throaty exhaust note to keep you awake and let everyone else know you are there isn’t a bad thing plus a peppier vehicle is always more fun to drive and worth the trade-off.

The overall sound of the Flowmaster 50 Series muffler is a mellow deep tone and the volume increase of the exhaust is actually only moderate compared to a Jeep with a stock exhaust and some intake mods. It has a sweet rumble at idle and nice grunt on hard acceleration, the increase in volume level the exhaust makes at highway speeds (around 70 mph) is negligible when considering road and wind noise are at their greatest as well at highway speeds.

My first impression is that it will be tolerable and probably become unnoticeable and even enjoyable with time. I believe the tone may even mellow out as the muffler gets broken in. So far I am very happy with this exhaust, I guess only time well tell if that remains to be true. There may be other cat-back exhausts on the market that have a slightly more mellow tone and all stainless steel components but at about $180 shipped nothing comes close to the Rusty’s system when considering cost and value.

Updated Impression 2/13/2008:
It is has been about 6 months since I installed my Rusty’s 50 Series Cat Back Exhaust. I no longer really notice the increased exhaust noise/volume and quite frankly can’t remember what the stock exhaust sounds like. I feel like the the exhaust may have mellowed out a tad since I got it but that may just be an illusion in my perception of the volume over time since I have had the exhaust installed. I would note that the 50 series muffler does seem a bit louder on cold days than it does on hot days, not sure why, but I assume it has something to do with physics.

Having owned this system for a while now I would highly recommend it and would definitely purchased it again, it truly can’t be beat for the price. I would also note that many have inquired if the system resonates and I can confidently say that it does not, in fact prior to installing the exhaust while I had just the intake and Trail Jammer kit on my Jeep I had an annoying resonance at highway speeds. I believe it was a product of wide open intake and lots of air coming into the engine combined with a restrictive exhaust and not a whole lot of air getting out. I am very happy to say this system eliminated this resonance problem completely. If you are on the fence about this exhaust, go for it! At this price if you really hate it you can sell it and buy a stock muffler and go back to your original setup.

I hope this write-up is helpful to someone, feel free to PM me or post a reply if you have any questions about this exhaust.
Thanks, Steve

I will add to this:
1997 XJ 4.0L, AW4, 13x,xxx miles
Rusty's Air tube, AEM DryFlow filter, Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 40, 2.5" pipe cat back.
If you like the sound of the Reg 40, it sound almost like it but without the resonance in the cab. At cruising and highway speed sounds stock, can easily hear the radio, cell phone, or person next to ya. Videos are in my Sig.

Back