• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's flex flares-rubber gasket?

That should be a problem for me, she sleeps in a garage pretty much unless she's being wheeled!

SO FAR, I'm very pleased. But the true test is time. Only time will tell!

Well, finally got my flares installed. Here's a few pictures on my Jeep. Let me know what you think. I'm happy with them, aside from the painting quality, lots of blemishes, but nothing to be concerned about.

Picture050.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture049.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture045.jpg

I have them. Poor fit and finish. And rear opening is a little small.
The rivits were pushed thru a piece of cardboard and spray painted, nothing special.

TJ rears are the way to go.
Agent98 I agree completely.

DanNJeep said:
Agent98- I'm a little confused as to the fact you claim Rusty's have poor fit and finish and yet you say TJ flares are the way to go? I've tried the TJ's and found that no matter what I did you can't get by the fact that the TJ has a flat body and the XJ is contoured. At best the TJ flares look a little "hobbled" together.

I doubt that my TJ flares (below) look "hobbled together". You get out of it what you put into it ... time & patience. It's not that hard to get the TJ flares to conform to the XJ lines. Bolting the front flares eliminates any problems since the bolts pull it all together. The rear were a non-issue as well. Heck I didn't even bolt my rear flares on ... they're held on with 3M tape & they were on there from Sept '07 until I had to pry them off to install the armor 2 months ago. Never once got ripped off.
Going doorless will never be a choice for me so that's moot, but I'm so glad I didn't have flares that bolted onto the rear quarters -as would have been necessary with Rusty's. When I added my armor I would have had to drill an entirely new set of holes. Something to consider if body armor is in your future.
So 6 & 1/2 dozen ... IMO. But I think they look damn good :D

7_09(4).jpg

7_09.jpg

Close up ...
finished.jpg

older pics ...
beauty.jpg.jpg

Asshesits.jpg

And another sexy one for good measure ... Not mine.
img1662hc7.jpg

TJ flares ROCK! Guess how much I saved over Rusty's since the TJ flares cost about 25 bux? :D.

I'm another one who can't stand the look of TJ flares on an XJ. No offense to those who run them, but they look horrible and out of place. I'd rather spend the money on flares that look good on my XJ, then dish out $25 and have an outcome like that. I'm more than happy with my Rusty's flare, even over Bushwacker, which I hated just as much as TJ flares.

I'm another one who can't stand the look of TJ flares on an XJ. No offense to those who run them, but they look horrible and out of place. I'd rather spend the money on flares that look good on my XJ, then dish out $25 and have an outcome like that. I'm more than happy with my Rusty's flare, even over Bushwacker, which I hated just as much as TJ flares.
I agree, if I were ever going to run a flare I would look into the Rusty flex flares, bushwackers look worse than TJ flares IMO.

I agree, if I were ever going to run a flare I would look into the Rusty flex flares, bushwackers look worse than TJ flares IMO.

I think Bushwackers look great, IF you're running the right size lift and tires. From what I can see, they feel very fragile and look like they will break with any small hit. I also didn't like how the rear flare was split, which is another reason why I went with Rusty. As all of you know, it's hard getting into the back seat of a XJ, unless you're a 105lb. gymnast, and I can just see one of my passengers superkicking my flare right off the door. If you look at my pictures above, the only thing plastic on the outside of my XJ as of now is the flares. I HATE PLASTIC. Not to mention, I like seeing my front tire while wheeling, and the Rusty flare covers just enough so I can still see it.

I guess this is one of those issues where you either love 'em or hate 'em. I know of guys who absolutely think front TJ flares look good on an XJ, & I think they look very ghetto/redneck. Same for the wonderful "flareless look". And BWs just don't cut it for me. Oh well.

I still can't justify spending all that money on a mod when I can get the same or better function out of something that IMO looks just as good or better, and works just as well or better. And I'm not a cheap ass either as is apparent from some of my choices in suspension parts.

Anyway, the Rusty's do look pretty good except for the proliferation of shiny rivets/bolts. A long as the owner is happy with what they got, I guess all is well.

I guess this is one of those issues where you either love 'em or hate 'em. I know of guys who absolutely think front TJ flares look good on an XJ, & I think they look very ghetto/redneck. Same for the wonderful "flareless look". And BWs just don't cut it for me. Oh well.

I still can't justify spending all that money on a mod when I can get the same or better function out of something that IMO looks just as good or better, and works just as well or better. And I'm not a cheap ass either as is apparent from some of my choices in suspension parts.

Anyway, the Rusty's do look pretty good except for the proliferation of shiny rivets/bolts. A long as the owner is happy with what they got, I guess all is well.

The flares came with the black rivets, as did my side plates. I decided to go with the "shiny" rivets to bring out the plates and flares more.

Every TJ flare install I've ever seen looked HORRIBLE...
i agree.

Yours is no different... They look ridiculous and out of place.
i disagree. this is the nicest looking tj flare install i've seen. he did it right and they look damn good. it has the very 'stock-ish' look that i like. i'm still not diggin' the split rear flares, though.

The flares came with the black rivets, as did my side plates. I decided to go with the "shiny" rivets to bring out the plates and flares more.

i hate shiny. whenever i buy an aftermarket/upgrade part, the first thing i do is rattle-can it semi-flat. if i go with the flex flares (which are ostensibly not paintable), i'll try using Krylon Fusion. http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

Back