• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's adjustable track arm

Darkmage

NAXJA Member #996
My steering has been getting VERY loose after inspecting today i noticed the track bar end joint is toast..... so my question is should i replace the joint or go with the heavy duty bracket and bushing end rusty offers.

Also does anyone know where to get the replacement end for the track arm, i searched rusty's and couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks for any info you guys can give me
Chris

ChuckD said:
Definitely get a HD Trackbar: JKS, RE, Kevin'sParts just to name a few. I for one can not recomend a Rusty's TB.

I understand what you are saying Chuck but in my situation i can't spend the cash on a new track bar...... i just didn't know if i could get a replacement end for my bar anywhere besides rusty's, or if anyone had tried their heavy duty end with bracket its about $90 plus shipping to upgrade my track bar.

Chris

You can get a replacement anywhere it is #ES140R

Rusty's standard adjustable track bar has 2 issues.

First is the bushing at the axle. The sleeve inside the bushing is very small. Because of this the sleeve can move around quite a bit, and cause slop in the track bar.

Second is the tie rod end at the frame. Tie rod ends are not made to function at the angle this end is at, which is why the ends do not last more than a few months.

What do you need to do? You can either go out and buy another adjustable tie rod, or do what I did. I bought the heavy duty upgrade for $89. With this you get a nice beefy frame bracket and replacement end with poly bushing. With this setup I still had the problem with small sleeves and bushing play. I addressed this by fabricating some larger sleeves. I had someone make me 2 sleeves out of steel. The dimension are 3/4" OD, 1/2" ID and 1 9/16" long. Then I drilled the center of the poly bushings to 3/4". Drilled out the axle bracket to 1/2". Then I assembled everything, replacing the axle bolt with a new 1/2 bolt and lock nut. I did this 3 years ago and everything has held up great.

I had the same issue where the tie rod end was toast. ended up finding a guy on another forum who ran a site called PORC and he gave me a deal on a hd bar with a johnny joint and said it would be better than a RE. With the RE you have to drill a hole to make it bigger and with the PORC version you didnt. havent had any issues with it whatsoever. If anyone wants a used rustys offroad trackbar lemme know ill throw it to you.

Nathan

Back