• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty floorpan

austinandtina

NAXJA Forum User
Hey after bringing my 94 cherokee home I noticed some baseball size holes in just about every floorpan. Now can i just clean it up and lay out some thick undercoating over it to seal it since my welder is on the fritz

JB Weld will do the trick if there's no lateral pressure. Just cut out the rust spots and trace patterns onto cardboard, then cut some sheetmetal patches with a 1/4 to 1/2 inch overlap. Drill a sequence of staggered off-set small holes in both surfaces, prime both surfaces, then apply a bead of JB Weld and let it set. Use some automotive seam sealer to smooth out the transition. I did the same thing with some small patches on my floorboard years ago and they are still holding fine.

I've had pretty good luck with the above technique, but instead of JB Weld, using short self tapping sheet metal screws. Daub the mating surface with something tarry such as roofing cement before laying the plate down, screw it in, and then daub the underside liberally with more goo to seal it as completely as possible. If JB Weld can hold the plate down without screws, all the better, but after it's hardened, I'd still make sure there's a liberal coat of sealer on the underside so that there is no crack for moisture to sneak into.

Ok just was under there hosing some undercoating along the sides and decided to get a better look at those floorpans. There toast every one of them needs cut out peeled apart in this one's case. What are my options can i just cut it out and weld sheet metal underneath somewhere not sure what there is left to weld to but help is needed

Ya well my drivers side front and rear pans are gone I see hardly any metal left just carpet from underneath. Thought maybe some sheet metal might work but idc

I finally got under my carpet today, drivers side is toast. Entire rocker panel is gone on the passenger side... I see learning how to weld in my immediate future.

My rocker and floorpan are gone on drivers side of mine bit passenger side is a little better I just coated it I'm bed liner to get me by for a short time.. I might try just taking sheet metal underneath and welding it in and sealing it

Well after having another jeep buddy look at it I belive we are going to try and fiberglass it. But I'm having issues getting the darn seat out those nuts seem to be 13mm but just can't get them to turn without slipping off

d92559c0ec919457c18dc6d3d9889812.jpg
this is what I'm going to try and accomplish

My first thought would be that fiberglass will not provide any structural strength. Since the XJ is a unibody, that sheet metal floor pan does integrate into the strength of the whole vehicle. Further, if the sheetmetal is really gone, I'd be concerned that the fiberglass will flex a lot as you step on the floor, etc. Granted, fiberglass will seal it from water, but I think I'd go with sheetmetal. The replacement pans, using the correct year, tend to be pretty well formed for the appropriate contours of the floor.

David Bricker / SYR

Back