• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running while on its side

MJlogan

NAXJA Forum User
A couple weeks ago I layed the mj on its side. It stayed running so I bang it in reverse, crank the wheel, and drive out of it. Total time running on its side was maybe 15 seconds. Had oil pressure the whole time (at least according to the oh so accurate stock gague). About 3 hours later, I hear a strange little ticking. The ticking turns into a knock which turns into a hole in the side of the block.

Anyone regularly run theirs when it is layed over?

I'm sure it isnt the best idea for the bottom end, but i'm sure having 230k mi. probably contributed to putting a rod throught the block. Just trying to figure out how careful I need to be with the next motor.

might say you have press... but its starving all the bearings of oil ...

prob spun a bearing then ..downhill .. broken crank, broken wrist pin etc

MJlogan said:
Anyone regularly run theirs when it is layed over?
QUOTE]

No, not on a regular basis. How over were you? Unless you were revving the heck out of it 15 seconds shouldnt have killed the motor. Its most likely that the motor would have gone out sooner rather than later. I wouldnt worry too much about it happening on the new motor.

cmotsvt said:
No, not on a regular basis. How over were you? Unless you were revving the heck out of it 15 seconds shouldnt have killed the motor. Its most likely that the motor would have gone out sooner rather than later. I wouldnt worry too much about it happening on the new motor.

Probably 90 degrees or more. Enough for gear oil to start running out of the top of the tranny into the cab.

Did you lay it over & have it burning oil for a while after? You may have got a good deal of oil in the top end & caused a hydro lock with engine oil. That will bend & weaken a conecting rod & cause the motor to fall apart. I did the same wit my 87 XJ but a dunk in 5+ feet of water helped with that!

I rolled my 97 & it ran for approx. 30 sec. upside down before I realised it was still running. After I got it home I pulled the plugs & cranked it to get the oil out. Reinstalled the plugs & it started right up. Drove it for 2 weeks with no problems until the ins. co. said it was totaled. JIM.

Back