• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running Full Width F250 Axles on XJ?

Here is my XJ with H2 rims (like BrettM said) on a front 60, which is the same width as your HP44 out of a F250. Rear is a 14b...roughly the same as your 60.
It's about the same track with as my buddy's Bronco 44 with 15" rims and standard backspacing. Also, the rims are flush with my drive slugs. Hubs would definately stick out.

Jay

DSC00202.JPG

DSC00205.JPG

DSC00206.JPG

That is an absolute beast jlake!!! More pictures and specs please. ---------------Kyle

CRASH said:
Ford Super Duty wheels are 8" on 170mm metric bolt pattern.

They do not fit any other 8 bolt (8 on 6.5") axle.

CRASH

I was told by a diesel guy that the earlier super duty's (pre 99?) were the 8 on 6.5. is that correct?

ECU88XJ said:
I was told by a diesel guy that the earlier super duty's (pre 99?) were the 8 on 6.5. is that correct?

Pre-99's are not SuperDuty's, in the parlance of our times. The new body style after 99 is what is refered to as a Super Duty. It has a different rear axle 10.5 Sterling as opposed to a 10.25 Sterling, the F-250's got a Dana 50 solid front vs. a Dana 50 TTB, and the funky bolt pattern that came with them.

The only pre-99 "Super Duty" was the F-450 chassis cab. It only came single cab, 2 wd, dually.

CRASH

OK, what i'm thinking of doing is getting a front end front a 77 f150 dana 44hp. I am going to run radius arms instead of using my Rusty's short arms. Will this ride better than the short arms? I'm wondering how the flex would be. I would like to know where I can get long radius arms.

Thanks

CRASH said:
The only pre-99 "Super Duty" was the F-450 chassis cab. It only came single cab, 2 wd, dually.

CRASH

Actually you could get the pre-99 F-450 in 4wd. My neighbor has one, its got a huge Dana 70 front with a 10 lug bolt pattern. Might have been a conversion, but I know they were made.

Which fullsize trucks have rear 44? (going to the junkyard tomorrow)

Lucas said:
Which fullsize trucks have rear 44? (going to the junkyard tomorrow)

Jeep Wagonner/Cherokee, Scout. Not many more I can think of being a full size vehicle. Most went with a bigger rear axle like a dana 60, ford 9", 14 bolt etc.

offroadman83 said:
That is an absolute beast jlake!!! More pictures and specs please. ---------------Kyle

Don't really want to hijack the thread, but the quick specs are:
90 XJ 2-door (duh)
93 5.0 out of Mustang
C6 with B&M shift kit and Stargate shifter
Ford NP203 range box
Dana 300 with 32spline rear output and custom flip kit (not done yet)
High-Angle driveline "1-ton" driveshafts with 1410 joints at all ends, two piece front driveshaft and rear 1350 CV.
Front HPD60 with 5.13's, Detroit, 35spline outers, and Warn drive flanges
Rear 14B ff with 5.13's, disc brakes, and Lincoln locked.
Steering is full hydro with double ended ram, High-flow 1400 TC series pump, and high-steer arms.
Suspension is rancho 44044 leaves up front SOA mounted about where the stock LCA's were. Rear are MJ leaves mounted under the "frame". Wheelbase is about 110.5" Of the increase, about 8" is in the rear.
To accomodate the rear axle move, the gas tank has been moved up flush with the bottom of the "rails" and encased in a 3/16" box. Also, the rear has been cut like a competition cut and new fenders made. On the inside, there is a top to the gas tank "safe" and a new floor made out of 14g. With the new floor welded to the fenders and the rear gate opening and the fuel safe, and the fuel safe welded to the frame rails, it has really stiffened up the rear of the XJ.
Miscellaneous body items are 1/4" diamondplate across the body to the belt line, and rockers made out of 1/4" 3x5 square tube.
Last on the list is to get a cage installed. I should have that done before spring.

Sorry but I don't have any more pics at the moment.

Jay

I was looking in an old JP magazine I've got here. I foud an XJ running Lambardi radius arms with a Dana 44 front out of a 1971 Bronco. I think this is the route I'm going to take. Is a f150 wider than a Bronco? Thats quite the beast you got there Jake!

CRASH said:
Pre-99's are not SuperDuty's, in the parlance of our times. The new body style after 99 is what is refered to as a Super Duty. It has a different rear axle 10.5 Sterling as opposed to a 10.25 Sterling, the F-250's got a Dana 50 solid front vs. a Dana 50 TTB, and the funky bolt pattern that came with them.

CRASH

Don't forget the supa doopies are hub centric on lug centric wheels. The 60's came in F-250's with the Heavy Duty option or the Diesel also.

On that note I don't believe Dodge has changed to the metric pattern yet and the newer body style's have 17" wheels also.

DaveHillier said:
I was looking in an old JP magazine I've got here. I foud an XJ running Lambardi radius arms with a Dana 44 front out of a 1971 Bronco. I think this is the route I'm going to take. Is a f150 wider than a Bronco? Thats quite the beast you got there Jake!

That is FarmerMatts rig. Phil Lambardi did the initial work on those arms. They are basically a stock ford radius arm cut in half and sleeved with square tubing. And a 1" hiem at the end of it. You will have to build a custom crossmember to mount them to, but mostly a bolt in swap. The only problem with the EB 44 is that it is a LP 44. So unless you throw alloy shafts and big brakes, might as well have a HP 30.

matt

Scrappy said:
That is FarmerMatts rig. Phil Lambardi did the initial work on those arms. They are basically a stock ford radius arm cut in half and sleeved with square tubing. And a 1" hiem at the end of it. You will have to build a custom crossmember to mount them to, but mostly a bolt in swap. The only problem with the EB 44 is that it is a LP 44. So unless you throw alloy shafts and big brakes, might as well have a HP 30.

matt

Thanks for the info Matt, both of U. :laugh3: Yeah, I saw that article and it was good, nice to see some locals get in the big mag. The EB does have it's advantages as it's the right width, coil line up, etc, but stock they have drum brakes, LP, and small 260 u-joints. This can all be fixed except the LP obviously. True a HP30 isn't that bad, that's why I'm going from a hp30 to a hp44, but I rather put my $ into a LP44 that a ton of $ into a hp30.

A f-250 hp44 isn't bad with its leaf spring perches that are going to be a bit easier to get off than the cast wedges on the f-150, some had welded wedges.

What do you guys mean by an EB 44? I know this F100 has disk brakes and I'm quite sure it's HP. I definetly don't want to change my rims to 17" because of the added price of tires. I wanna keep 15" rims. I guess I'll be selling the F250 rear ends and getting something else.

You can keep the 15"s, especially if you run a 5 x 5.5 pattern (F-150)...
Pretty sure you can swap out the outers on a F-250/F-350 to match up

it would be to your better interest to use the f100 axles, the front is more set up for a three link front set up. you can use 10bolt or dana 44 outer stuff to get either a 5 lug or a 6 lug bolt pattern and disc brakes bc the 77 axle probably has drums. on the rear, the 9 inch is quite a bit lighter than the d60. the gears are probably the same in both trucks 3.54 any how. running the tires with a wider track will help keep the rocks off your body so the wide track isnt such a bad thing.
my .02

I wanna run 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. What backspacing will I need on the rims to keep it as close to stock as possible? I'm also wondering about the outers on the f250. Would I be able to use them with the F100 D44? And would they be stonger than the F100? Thanks for all the great help guys! I'm gonna get Radius Arms made like FarmerMatt's. Is there a company that make them? Or do I have to make them?

CartsXJ said:
Actually you could get the pre-99 F-450 in 4wd. My neighbor has one, its got a huge Dana 70 front with a 10 lug bolt pattern. Might have been a conversion, but I know they were made.

That is not a factory item, that truck was an aftermarket conversion. They were usually built for utility companies by places like Oshkosh or HighMobility.

Pre-99 F-450's ONLY came in 2wd, evidnced by the fact that the 5 speed that came in them (SF-42 or SF-47) had a special tailhousing that had an integral parking brake drum mechanism that will not accomodate a transfer case.

CRASH

Back