• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rules for being JEEP brand?

**** the jeep brand, its nothing more than a name used to sell coolers and keychains at this point. jeep hasnt done anything worth wile in 14 years.

My condolences to those of you with the keychains and coolers.

It's not hate towards the 2wd jeeps, just never thought they were/are made this way. It blew my mind because I always thought they came from the factory as 4wd vehicles that could handle (practically) any terrain put in front of it. (Ok I'm being a tad bit bias due to being in an older stock Willy's that could).
Some much better (rear) tires n I'm sure I could handle some "not so nice" terrain in this xj.
I'm just glad they stopped using renix after 90! (Less headache I believe).
Though having experience as a mechanic, I still have trouble with the electronics, computers make everything screwy. Fuel injection, timing with air inflow, heck the "basics" of the body electronics in general!) yes I know the argument about fuel mileage and all that.... But I prefer the "old" carburators.
Haven't done any teacher on the 4.0 with a carb on it yet.... But I will, eventually.

I had twin at one point 2 red 95's 5 inch on the 4wd and stock on the 2wd it got about 25 mpg had a lsd my only beef was I kept breaking the trans mount. They are both 5 spd I lived that jeep but I was offered 2500 for it from a friend that new that it had been up kept well.

It's not hate towards the 2wd jeeps, just never thought they were/are made this way. It blew my mind because I always thought they came from the factory as 4wd vehicles that could handle (practically) any terrain put in front of it. .

Most of what's needed in any vehicle is a "Driver Mod". An experienced guy/gal in a 2WD can out perform a kucklehead in a 4WD.

Jeep realized that most of the population has no need for 4WD. It's a small percentage of us that actually use the 4WD systems in these Jeeps. Lots of folks how paid the premium for the 4WD on various SUVs have never even had it out of 2WD. No need for it if you never leave the pavement or graded dirt roads. So it allowed them to drop the price on "Iconic" vehicles such as the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee and bring in more customers who had no use for the extra expense/maintenance/mpg hit that a transfercase, front DS, and front axle brought to the table.

I will admit that after they ran out of AMC's ideas (the Grand was already on the drawing board when Chrysler bought the Jeep brand) they kind of went down hill after that with exception of the Wrangler but that's because they keep the Wrangler basically unchanged as far as layout. Body on frame, solid axles, ect.

It's nothing new. Just a manufacture selling to as much of the market as possible.

If you want a pair of work boots, buy a pair of work boots... that doesnt change the fact that many people just need a pair of flip flops....

Buy accordingly. I have a 2wd comanche.

If you want a pair of work boots, buy a pair of work boots... that doesnt change the fact that many people just need a pair of flip flops....

Buy accordingly. I have a 2wd comanche.

When we got this xj, we were in a pinch... Needed a vehicle. Had two we were looking at. One was a four door 4wd, and this one. The person that has the 4wd was playing screwy games (call me n I'll bring it to a location for you to look at) while the 2wd guy said he could deliver. And without a vehicle to do anything with, we opted for the delivery.

So far we have not "needed" the 4wd option (no time to go play). But she sure ain't no show-queen! Daily driver and beater.

XJ_ranger, thanks. Only read page 1 of that post, but like it so far (though no mention of a 2wd xj on page 1). I'll read more of it later.

Either way, 2wd or 4x4 xj's are great rigs. It just worried me a bit that mine is only a 2wd.
But what really bugs me about it, it's only a 2 door. I prefer 4 doors on my vehicles (unless it's a Willy's or VW beetle!)

Holy bat crap! Long read!!! Very little was actually said about the 2wd xj, it was mentioned like 3 times. Even tried to refind it (said I was a guest when I followed the link). But I'm no good at using the search thing, I'll just go through the pages til I get to it... The old fashioned way. Lol.

It's a jeep, it's an XJ.... And it's MINE! Bought n paid for, no payments owed.

Back