• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ruff Stuff Diff covers Oil Level.

x2 on filling it till it starts to pour out. thats what i do on my RS diff covers on my 30, 8.25. as far as the "tool" goes, i got a bolt and two nuts that fit inside the fill plug. at first i just used it like a lock nut, but i wanted to be able to use a good socket on it, so i welded the nut onto the bolt and use the appropriate size socket to turn it with my air ratchet. quick and easy

PacificEd said:
Where do you find the tool to remove/tighten the diff fill plug? Those things are a huge hex. I haven't seen one anywhere.

I just went out and bought a huge hex for mine at the hardware store (I can't remember the size off the top of my head though). It was about ten bucks, but I think it was worth it. That way it is always with me in the jeep just in case I want to check my fluid level on the trail or something.

I see the guy above me found it for a bunch cheaper!

I've looked at Autozone, etc. and haven't seen anything that big. I may try a good "old school" hardware store or maybe rig something else with the bolts and nuts idea.

PacificEd said:
I've looked at Autozone, etc. and haven't seen anything that big. I may try a good "old school" hardware store or maybe rig something else with the bolts and nuts idea.

This is what you want 3pc set (1/2in 9/16in 5/8in) 1/2 in drive hex bits for $7.99 from autozone
http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP1294/store,2969/initialAction,accessoryProductDetail/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm

I could not find the single 9/16" hex socket on their website, But the 3PC set is a good deal also.

Ramsey said:
A bolt with the correct size head and two nuts should do the job.

X2

Cheap and effective.

I think you all got most of the answers good......

However, if you haven't rotated your axles for the driveshaft angle you should fill the recommended amount + 1/2 pint on a D30 or D44, + 1 full pint on an 8.8, 8.25, or a D60, + 1 1/2 pints on a 14 bolt ......

Or change out the plug to a square drive or external hex,no special tools required then.
I also drilled a 1/8"NPT sight/level plug on all my covers.

RCP Phx said:
Or change out the plug to a square drive or external hex,no special tools required then.
I also drilled a 1/8"NPT sight/level plug on all my covers.

The sight/Level hole is a very Good Idea.
I would stick with the internal hex or square drive plug, I don't like Having anything else sticking out under there.

I took a grade 8 3/8" bolt with a 9/16 head on it, ran a nut down to the shoulder of the bolt(also 9/16") and welded it. I then cut the remainder of the bolt off and I just use any 9/16" socket or wrench to remove or tighten the plug. I made a few of these and have them in the tool box in the Jeep or in my box at home. It didn't cost me anything, i had the bolts laying around.

Back