• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon TJ t-case into a 91 XJ?

The length of the input shaft is important. I had mine installed by Jon J along with an AX-15 from a 98 so it matched up. Somewhere on the web is a breakdown on the long and short 23 spline inputs. The 241J takes the long input.

Fred

I am about to to convert a 2wd xj to 4wd. I am installing a nv3500 with the np241or. I rebuilt the tcase and the tranny was new. Here is my question anybody dealt with the electronic issue for the earlier xjs. And since I built my rear (ford nine inch with detroit and discs) before I fell into the rubicon parts I of course ordered a 1310 yoke and the rubi drive shaft is set up for 1330 ujoints. is there a cross over ujoint so I don't have to buy another billet yoke. Another question I have is I also have a dana 44 for the front with an arb. I think based on the mechanics it should be relativly invisible on the street. Just don't want any suprises. Thanks Robert.

Not sure what to do with the speedo. Haven't come across that yet.

Yes, there is a 1330/1310 "crossover joint".

Should not even notice you have the ARB while you are on the street.

You should really

You should really start a new thread with your questions instead of hi-jacking someone else's thread.

mmcswss said:
I am about to to convert a 2wd xj to 4wd. I am installing a nv3500 with the np241or. I rebuilt the tcase and the tranny was new. Here is my question anybody dealt with the electronic issue for the earlier xjs. And since I built my rear (ford nine inch with detroit and discs) before I fell into the rubicon parts I of course ordered a 1310 yoke and the rubi drive shaft is set up for 1330 ujoints. is there a cross over ujoint so I don't have to buy another billet yoke. Another question I have is I also have a dana 44 for the front with an arb. I think based on the mechanics it should be relativly invisible on the street. Just don't want any suprises. Thanks Robert.

1310 to 1330 conversion u-joint Spicer 5-134x

Chris S said:
I can get a deal on a T-case from a rolled Rubicon.

Aside from drive shafts is it a straight bolt-in?

I put a NV241OR from a 04 TJ Rubicon in my 2001 XJ.
It was from a manual tranny TJ, and I have an AW4 Auto.
It bolted right in. I have the T&T Y-Link long arm upgrade kit, and I had make 2 changes to the full belly pan because the 241 is quite a bit larger than the original 231. The speedor sensor was the exact same electrical connector and just plugged in. However, if you have a pre 97 XJ, you will have to get the right connector and make some modifications to the wiring. There is a write-up out there somewhere that I saw. The Rubi T-case is 23 spline. I've read that all 92 and up XJ's are 23 spline also. In 91 you might have either 21 or 23 spline.
The 4wd dash light indicator connector was not the same. I planned on getting the right connector from the dealer, but I decided I didn't really care about the dash light. As for driveshafts, I bought a 32 spline 1310 CV yoke from Tellico 4x4 for $40 and put it on the front output shaft. This let me re-use my front driveshaft. For the rear I ordered a new DS from Tom Woods with the right flange to bolt up to the Rubi tcase balancer/flange. The shifter lever on the tcase is orientated straight up, the XJ is straight down, but the linkage hooked up fine and only needed a slight adjustment. Overall this tcase is great, in 4L and 1st it barely moves at 3K rpm. I drive on the trail mostly in 3rd now. It is a very good value compared to the cost of an Atlas or Stak, etc. More details and pictures in the build thread in my sig.

NV241OR and stock NP231
tcases.jpg

Bolted right in.
tcase-install2-1.jpg

Had to modify the belly pan for the lower hanging 241
belly-mod2-1.jpg

Sucessfully tested..... :D
DSC00629.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 231 and a rubi case setting side buy side. My rubi came from a manual xmission. Dodge decided to put a harmonic dampner on it. I know that you can change it out using the same yoke as the front. But fwiw I would stick with the dampner on a manual.

Back