• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Express 3.5 leaf install question

98Redbird

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 2000 XJ that I'm installing the RE 3.5 kit on.

Rear leafs, are so far as bad as described, as far as removal. Passengers side wasn't horrid, but the drivers side front bolt decided to bust the weld nut off so the bolt just spins. No prob, I'll just go in through the floorboard to get it out.

However, I'm seeing that some folks are saying that the rear shackle needs to be removed also. I'm curious as to why? The directions to not mention that from what I've seen, and I don't understand why the new springs cannot just be installed to the factory shackles? Do I need to remove the shackle (upper bolts), for some reason? Was hoping that I did not need to after the front bolt fiasco.

Thanks

First, for the front bolt that spins, no need to go through the floorboard, just cut out part of the "pocket" from underneath and drop the nut out. That way you can get a new nut in from underneath also.

Secondly, you do not need to take out the original shackles. The leaves fit just fine in them. A hint, if you want to go with a little more height in the back, you can get Dodge Ram shackles and realize an extra 1.5-2 inches.

Incidentally, I speak from experience, as this is the same package I have on my '01.

Back