• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubberized undercoating under cargo area carpet

Plays For Jeeps said:
$3 at local junkyard will buy a rubber truck bed liner. I had enough to cut a trunk mat and 4 new BEEFY mud flaps.

I did this. I even cut a piece that fits over the back seat when it's folded down.

My brother just bought a 93 Jeep at a city auction. It was a dept of highways vehicle. It has a rubber mat instead of carpet so I know it is out there. Also has tow hooks, skid plates, hitch, full size spare, but thats it. No power anything, no center console, has A/C but idiot light dash. I guess it was a crazy option.

ok...while screwing off at work and reading these threads that I'm now addicted to I decided to take out the cargo area carpet in my 95 and have a look. Same problem! However mine only has two spots that need repaired. One under the spare tire support(exacxtly like in the picture) and one right above the rear of the gas tank.
Now for someone that knows little about body repair, what gauge sheet metal can I use to patch these and is it safe to weld in a new patch right above the rear of the gas tank?
Seriously...I think I'm addicted to this site...does anyone else have this problem?

I wouldn't weld right above the gas tank, even putting sheet metal screws in there you have to be careful because the tank sits really close to the floorpan.
I used 20g. galvanised, seems to match around the thickness of the old floorpan too.

mcnamaag said:
My brother just bought a 93 Jeep at a city auction. It was a dept of highways vehicle. It has a rubber mat instead of carpet so I know it is out there. Also has tow hooks, skid plates, hitch, full size spare, but thats it. No power anything, no center console, has A/C but idiot light dash. I guess it was a crazy option.

i've only ever seen this in forrest service/municipal vehicles. some i've even seen have waterproof seats! they don't look comfortable otherwise i'd consider looking for some. the rubber floormats are cool but not worth the hassle for me. cool that they did make them though!

My sisters car was owned by the Park Dept. and it has some pretty sweet options. Rubber flooring, ext idle, power everything. The only thing I don't like about the rubber matting is that there is still insulation under it!!

Standard cars use 18 gauge for body panels/fenders etc, and usually 16 gauge for heavier stuff like tailgates. 20 will be fine though.

I think I'm addicted to this site...does anyone else have this problem?
Jeff1 i would be if i could post in other areas as well, but im only allowed to post in here :D guess my post count isnt high enough yet lol

well as soon as its warm enough out i'm gonna be ripping the carpet & other junkl out to fix the constant wetness in the cargo area. :clap:

If you dont have rust can you just put rhino lining straight onto the paint thats on the floorboard? Or does it need to be a rough surface for it to stick?

-Alex

I ended up putting down 3 coats of undercoating, letting it dry for a few days then put the carpet back in (without the underlay). Sounds as quiet as it did before. The patches should last for a year or two until I cut it all out and replace the rear section, or flog the jeep..whichever comes first!

Back