• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rtf property wag bag rooms

Alright guys. Little bit of an update to this project. Matt and I had a good conversation about the bathrooms over lunch today and here are the things that we are currently leaning towards. We would like everyone’s input as there might be something that we are missing, not thinking about, or an awesome design aspect that we overlooked.

-4 panels per room with the overall dimensions being 4’ x 4’ at the base so that we can utilize a single sheet of siding and create less possible weather intrusion points.

-Solid roof but with a heavy duty screened opening in the door for light (Rubicon bathrooms have skylights) We were concerned about increasing the cost but also the possibility of water intrusion.

-Structure built using Unistrut and skinned with some sort of concrete board.

-Install plastic weather barrier on site once panels are joined together and in place.

-Install a hardie type siding and finish trims to make everything look good and finished.

MISC DESIGN ASPECTS

-3’-0” door for ease of in and out for cleaning. Will also make it easier for any possible handicapped persons to use.

-Any openings in the structure (for light or ventilation) covered with a layer of heavy mesh to keep out animals.

-Solid roof to minimize possibility of damage from snow load and future leaks

-Latch on the inside for privacy

-latch on the outside to lock up at the end of the season?

-Composition roof or some sort of metal roof?

-Build on the ground or elevate somehow like the current bathrooms? (We had concerns with the bottom rotting out if left on the ground but Im not exactly sure how to elevate structurally)

-Thinking about borrowing two RTF trailers to get materials to the jobsite. Concerns with do we have 2 people that are confident/competent in towing an offroad trailer through the trail and careful enough to make sure/keep an eye on the materials to get to the site in one piece.

What are your thoughts? Structure, Design, Logistics...

Here's one concept...

looks good to me Art

I think we should add a sign that says "Shitters donated by NAXJA"

Here's one concept...

The concept is spot on Art, thank you for the visual.

Spitballing some ideas:

Do we need interior walls?
Can we use 1/2" CDX plywood roof with grace under the corrugated tin?
The corners need to be made so you can screw them together such as an inside "L" or "U" shape.
The top plate needs to go the full run of the wall and tie into the corner to keep it together
Use a King stud and trimmer with a header around the door.
An automatic flag that comes up when someone is using it so I don't have to walk all the way over to see if it is occupied.

Art can you program diagram this?

An automatic flag that comes up when someone is using it so I don't have to walk all the way over to see if it is occupied.

Art can you program diagram this?

Sure Skip, I'll jump right on this!! How about a seat warmer and bidet while we're at it? :D

For those of you going on the Rubicon portion of SierraFest; if someone could take like 40 or more pictures of ANY AND ALL angles and specifics of the bathrooms that would be awesome. Inside and out; top and bottom; etc. The more the merrier.

IE:
-Door handle and hinges inside and out
-Base of the building (is it sitting on the ground with a sill plate or raised off the base a little with screens?)
-roof trim/drip metal
-roof skylight weatherproofing/flashing
-interior wall structure
-interior roof structure
-any visible damage from people or wildlife (chance to beef up weaker areas)

Ideally, I would like to keep the design or outward appearance of the Wag bag rooms similar to the existing bathrooms so there is a cohesive feel throughout the trail and RTF Property.

Since I am unable to make the whole trip due to my ankle (but I still have 2 days off next week), I plan on contacting the companies that donated exterior materials for the latest bathroom refresh/re-skin and see if they would like to work with us on providing the same high quality materials as the bathrooms for cost or a smaller mark-up than their standard customers. That would allow for a similar look as well as known weatherproofed and long lasting products.

Here is the blog post for those bathroom remodels. In there, it explains why I am hesitant about using standard wood construction for the structure and siding.
https://www.rubicontrailfoundation.org/rubicon-toilets-upgrade/

Back