• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rtf property wag bag rooms

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So we need to design wag bag rooms/huts on 51x51” slabs on the rtf property. We need to design them, build
Them offsite, then wheel the parts in .
Who wanta to help design it?
We are basically fully responsible end to end.

Post up here if you have experience with offroad restrooms.

Its basically a place to use a wag bag on the rtf property.

Jon, Did Ken or Tyler have any plans or sketches as to how and what the original huts were built out of?

Id like to have a strong basis idea for what survives the snow weight and see what we could improve upon.

Also, are there any material or permit restrictions or requirements for the structures similar to what we ran into with the Hermit Campground possible projects? ( Hermit Fire rings and picnic table restraints for example)

51” x 51”? That sucks. Most plywood or siding is 48”. Slabs are existing, pretty square, and pretty level, with no anchors set? Or do we need to go in and as-built them?

I’d guess that as “storage sheds” under 120sf on private property these wouldn’t be permitted. These are not for occupancy but just a place to store wag bags and seats, right??

Do these “sheds” need to be lockable?

51” x 51”? That sucks. Most plywood or siding is 48”. Slabs are existing, pretty square, and pretty level, with no anchors set? Or do we need to go in and as-built them?

I’d guess that as “storage sheds” under 120sf on private property these wouldn’t be permitted. These are not for occupancy but just a place to store wag bags and seats, right??

just two square pads next to each other, not touching, no anchors, and level so we could do 48x48 to make things easier.....

The pads are there. Unless I'm mistaken, these aren't meant to be storage of any kind. Basically 3 walls and a door so you can do your doo-ty in privacy. What you enter with you take out.

Am I wrong or are they meant to be more elaborate?

48"X41" three walls and a door with a latch on each side, no roof, 6" gap at the bottom, sounds about right to me.
Pre-cut the 2X4 PT and 4X4 PT boards and screw them in on-site and use Simson ties to make it strong. Tie the whole thing down with Red Heads and Simpson ties.
Pre-prime and paint everything.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
It was a joke because in many jurisdictions, small storage sheds do not require any sort of permit. I have no idea what sort of permitting would be required for essentially an outhouse (with no hole in the floor).

Having the shed overhang the edge of the slab can be desirable (down here in the flat lands) because it keeps any water that is sitting on the slab from remaining in contact with the end of your plywood siding. Like how the siding on your house doesn't go down to the dirt either. With snow sitting against it for months? No idea.

I don't like the gap below the siding because while it would probably reduce/delay the panels from rotting, it might make the sheds more of an attractive habitat to animals larger than spiders and flies.

"Sacrificial" baseboard of 2x4 or so, to keep the siding 3.5" off the slab?

Make the whole 4th wall hinge, essentially? So the corner posts are the jambs?

Hoping to get Casey and Matt Neff to figure this all out

they are basically a private place for you to use your ragbag for #2.

I was rafting down the Salmon River in Idaho and they had what I thought was a good design. What I liked was no roof and a gap at the bottom so the smell was minimal. Also, no roof makes it less inviting to creatures of the undesirable variety.

Hoping to get Casey and Matt Neff to figure this all out

I think we should match the previous designs used, someone shared some photos

I think that the biggest concern is gong to be the size and weight of whatever we build it out of and getting it to the site.

On the transportation side do we have an idea on how big we can make the pieces of this thing and still get it to the site.

My plan for the project is building the structures in 4 panels each and then attach them to each other on site. Then we could add the weather barrier, roof, siding and trim on site to make them the most weatherproof that we can.

Skip, My concern with not having a roof is the snow is going to accumulate inside as well as outside. That creates a new issue of making the inside weather resistant as well so that the structure doesn’t corrode or decompose.

As for the smell, the odor should only be in there as long as you are using it. Once you leave, the smell should follow in the wag bag.

I sent a FB Message to Ken asking for some pictures of plans for how the current rooms are built so we can analyze and see about making improvements on the structure.

Last edited:
My plan for the project is building the structures in 4 panels each and then attach them to each other on site. Then we could add the weather barrier, roof, siding and trim on site to make them the most weatherproof that we can.

Skip, My concern with not having a roof is the snow is going to accumulate inside as well as outside. That creates a new issue of making the inside weather resistant as well so that the structure doesn’t corrode or decompose.

As for the smell, the odor should only be in there as long as you are using it. Once you leave, the smell should follow in the wag bag.

I sent a FB Message to Ken asking for some pictures of plans for how the current rooms are built so we can analyze and see about making improvements on the structure.

Thank you, Casey, good point on the concrete. The one in Idaho was on the bare ground so why are ours on concrete pads does anyone know? Lib Gov rules?
Four panels with shed roofs sounds right, We should prime and paint before taking them out and putting them up so we don't have to do that out there.
Is the idea to do it the weekend of/before Sierra Fest?

I dont think it is a good idea to try and rush through the design and construction to have them ready before Sierrafest. I think with everyone doing prep to their rigs, and everything else going on in people's lives, there isn't going to be much time to procure the material or get a few people together to pre-construct them.

My other concern is that the amount of stuff people take with them for a week of camping is a lot. I think it would be pretty burdensome to also try to get all the material and tools needed to construct these prior to a week's worth of wheeling. In my eyes, this needs to be weekend trip dedicated to building and installing these things.

I think a good "stretch goal" would be to get these installed by the end of this wheeling season if we can. But if we struggle getting the design, materials, and/or guys together to pre-fab these, we will probably plan on getting everything finalized over winter and do a July work day next year.

My goal is to not just throw something together so we can say we did something. I want to design and build something that we are proud to put our name on and that will last as long as possible and look good doing it.

Back