• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Royal Purple?

I do hope if your going 25k miles that you are still replacing your oil filter regularly?

One of the best dragbike motorcycle crankshaft builders calls it purple death.

x*BIGASSALEX*j said:
...But keep it in mind, one you go Syn, you cant go back....
Do you have a reference for this recommendation?

There is absolutely no reason what-so-ever that you can NOT revert back to conventional oil after using synthetic. Heck you can mix synthetic and conventional.

There was at one time, a very exotic synthetic that was vegetable oil based, this type of oil was not compatible with conventional oil, so if you used it, you could NOT revert back to conventional oil. I don't think you could ever find this oil, even if you tried, anymore. Could this be where the misinformation is coming from?

All Synthetic Oils you buy today are either PAO, POE or Hydrocracked Crude (which almost everyone does NOT consider Synthetic) Based. All are compatible with conventional oil and can be mixed with or reverted back and forth to/from conventional oil.

I switched to royal purple(5w30) about a month ago, holy s*#t what a difference. I am getting about 20% better mileage(from15-17 to 19-21mpg), the motor runs and idles smoother and as far as my seat-o-the pants dyno is concerned she just feels like she is working less in any given drivivg situation. 99xj sport, 96,xxxish miles, auto btw. cant wait to switch all other fluids to royal purple products and see what gains i get.

as far as the amsoil comment... no you dont have to change the filter(as long as its the amsoil filter) for extended drain oil changes 25000 miles under normal conditions and 15000 miles under extreme conditions as long as you use there oil and filter. yes it does protect better(film strength is crazy strong)run cooler, smoother, and better performance and milage. yes an oil change is expensive @ 60-70 but you only have to do it once a year or 15000. amsoil also makes an airfilter that flows the same as a k&n but filters better than the k&n.
royal purple and other full synthetics are all good but someone has to have the best. syn blends are a joke, you are admitting that synthetic is better but only getting half of the benifit, use full synthetic or not at all.
i personally use it for the extra protection it provides, im hard on everything.
mike

The way I have long looked at engine (or any other fluids, for that matter...) oil is this:

1) The engine IS, indeed, a rather major and high-ticket component in any
vehicle.

2) Other than maintaining air filtration and cooling, and ensuring that
fuel-delivery, etc., remains correct....there really isn't much OTHER
than oil & filter that one does, or can do, to enhance and ensure
engine longevity.

3) Thus, for the once or twice...or even three times...per annum that one
will invest in something so critical for engine life, liberty &
happiness...why would one NOT want to spend the money for the best
protection, and insurance for the worst-case scenario such as an
overheat, brutal-cold starts, etc., when doing oil & filter changes???
That, especially given the money typically spent on so many other things
on a rig...many considerably less critical... Besides...it IS good practice
should you ever decide to start caring as much about your wife as you
do about your rig....:smootch:

Back