• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough country with bilsteins or OME full kit

9lared0

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, just acquired a new xj, have a 90 laredo with a three inch rough country lift on some monroe... i can't even tell their so old. It rode rough when i bought it and got rougher when I lifted it. Solid kit but tough ride on and offroad. Now the new xj I have is a 98 and it rides pretty smooth. I don't wanna destroy my ride quality but I cant have a stock height cherokee, its just too ugly. So after that intro, Rough country coils and leafs with bilstein 5100's or Old Man Emu heavy duty full 3 inch kit. I wanna save money and go rough country but I reallly don't wanna get a rough ride afterwards. Will the bilsteins make up for rough country springs?

9lared0 said:
Ok, just acquired a new xj, have a 90 laredo with a three inch rough country lift on some monroe... i can't even tell their so old. It rode rough when i bought it and got rougher when I lifted it. Solid kit but tough ride on and offroad. Now the new xj I have is a 98 and it rides pretty smooth. I don't wanna destroy my ride quality but I cant have a stock height cherokee, its just too ugly. So after that intro, Rough country coils and leafs with bilstein 5100's or Old Man Emu heavy duty full 3 inch kit. I wanna save money and go rough country but I reallly don't wanna get a rough ride afterwards. Will the bilsteins make up for rough country springs?
Bilsteins will not entirely diminish the harshness of a spring with a high rate, but they will certainly help dampen over a stock or poor quality shock.

bilsteins or OME full kit

I put standard (not 5100) Bilstein shocks on my 1990, which has OEM front springs and rear leafs with one extra main leaf. The ride is incredibly good on really rough roads, and incredibly BAD on pavement. The standard yellow Bilstein shocks are high-pressure gas shocks, and they don't give very well on small pavement breaks. I live in an area with serious winter, and badly cracked roads. The XJ bangs and thumps its way down the street. I wish I had bought the OME shocks, for a daily driver. The Doetsch Tech cheap shocks I put on my daughter's XJ ride better than the Bilsteins on pavement (but not on logging roads!)

I have an opinion on this....I think you can guess what it is :)

Call Dirk @ DPGOffroad for all your OME needs!

JNickel101 said:
I have an opinion on this....I think you can guess what it is :)
Haha, does your avatar reflect your opinion at all? X2 though Jon, if you are going to go OME, call Dirk, he will give you a good deal.

Last edited:
good to know, didn't wanna second guess your previous advice collin, but I read a post previously that said shocks couldnt really improve rough ride that much so I was just trying to get an idea, i've still got time before I can afford either option, but I'll keep that in mind.

:anon:

Shocks will help to a point...but if you have super stiff springs to begin with, they're not gonna let the shocks do their job or work.

OME makes their shocks to work with and compliment their springs. OME uses a light to medium spring rate on their springs, so their shocks work well with other companies that dont use an overly stiff/heavy spring rate.

JNickel101 said:
OME makes their shocks to work with and compliment their springs. OME uses a light to medium spring rate on their springs, so their shocks work well with other companies that dont use an overly stiff/heavy spring rate.
This was my original problem. I used to run a Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex lift on my 1990 XJ. It rode so rough, but I blamed it on the RE twintube shocks. I went to OME shocks and it changed the ride very little if any. I think if I do another small lift in the future it will be with OME's ZJ 934 coils and JC1A leafs in the back complemented by their shocks. But as of recently I've heard they've gone to not really being made in Australia anymore, have you heard anything on that JNickel?

Yeah, they are outsourced, and I cant figure out where....rumor was that it was China/Taiwan - but that was discounted...so I'm not really sure where they are made now. Maybe Korea or the Phillipines? South America? This supposedly started back in 2006.

The debate is still out on this. I've NEVER had a problem with mine, and honestly, I've never heard of anyone else who did either.

Back