• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough country shocks??

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to order the rough country 3" kit with the rear leaf pack instead of the add a leaf. i have heard things about the shocks that come with being junk. is this true? what about if you upgrade to the better ones they offer? also, if i just got some rancho rs5000 would it be that much better?

honestly that's a matter of opinion. i run rough country shocks on both of my jeeps. they're by no means the best, but i also don't see the need to upgrade to more expensive shocks. i did upgrade from the hydro to the nitro shocks on my wifes TJ. so i have 1 set of hydro and 1 set of nitro. both seem fine to me.

before that i also ran a set of the rancho 5000 on my wifes TJ. seemed fine too. but no noticable difference in my opinion.

if memory serves its a $25 upcharge to get the nitro shock(for all 4)my friend has the cheaper 8000 series on his and it rides nice and does well offroad. i did the 9000 series and its a little stiffer ride but keeps the tires planted better. rough country makes a great shock and you will be happy with them expecially for the money. look down a couple of threads titled rough country and talk to jason. he will take care of you, he's been great to all naxja members for there rough country products.
mike

if you are planning on driving over 25mph offroad... dont even let them ship you their shocks... i know firsthand at least the cheap ones will destroy their own bushings because they just cannot keep up....
they are BAD, and i could care less if they will ´make it right´ after you call em out on here... that is what they will do...

to me it sounds like you have a case of the overtighties. there shocks or anybodies for that matter shouldnt tear up the bushings unless you over tighten them.
mike

they have great shocks for the price. call grimus99xj and he'll get you a smoking good deal on a set of 4 nitrogen charged shocks. you'll want the nitro over the hydrolic fluid charged shocks because if its a Daily Driver then they hydro will heat up and the shock will go crap on you. the nitros are firmer riding and dont crap out. CALL GRIMUS AND ORDER.

94xj6.5 said:
to me it sounds like you have a case of the overtighties. there shocks or anybodies for that matter shouldnt tear up the bushings unless you over tighten them.
mike
so thats why if you did a search around, youd find this is very common WITH rough country shocks?
have you ran them?

I ran my brand new 9000's for 1 day! I immediately removed them and ordered up some real shocks!

I am running their shocks I got with the 3" kit. My xj actually rode better after the kit was installed. I guess my old stock stuff was just worn out.

xcm said:
so thats why if you did a search around, youd find this is very common WITH rough country shocks?
have you ran them?

yes i have them on mine and they are great. a friend of mine has a set also but tore up the upper shock bushing twice. i checked them and they were over tightened i retorqued them and he hasnt had a prob since.
mike

I got the nitros on now. Just did the lift and got all the bugs worked out and just started driving it. Its a good bit stiffer than stock, but so far I'm pleased with it. Granted I have nothing to compare it to as it is my first XJ with a lift. But at the same time if I wanted it to ride nice and smooth, I would have left it alone. I decided to go with rough country DESPITE all the negative publicity in the online community. I just plain dont care. If the stuff wears out in XX amount of time, then my bad. For the price, and my experience until this point, I'm happy.

If my conversation with Jason serves me correctly there is actually only two companies in the US manufacturing shocks, it comes down to whose sticker you like on them...

not to be a PITA... Old Man Emu... Yes they'll cost you some money, but extremely nice.

That's exactly what this comes down to: money.

I got the RC 3" kit with the hydro shocks and it's such a screamin' deal, you really can't complain.

My XJ with the lift installed rides just the way it did when it was stock. Although two of my original shocks were blown...

ome or bilstein.

actually... all you really need for a 3" lift is the front shocks off a YJ wrangler and the rear off a f-150. all 4 can be had for 80 bucks by monroe. gas charged and a life time warranty. the steering dampner was 25$ also.

you can also just put blocks or shackles and spacers in the front :patriot: thats how us mall crawlers do it!!!
flame on!!:explosion

:D

Back