• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rotating in a new full-size spare

djtucci

NAXJA Forum User
I have about 4k miles on my all-terrains. I want to add a full size spare. Will rotating the new spare in be bad or good with the "old" tires?

thanks

Since the recommended rotation interval is 5000 miles, you have 1000 miles to get the new spare before you do the first rotation. No problem.

i think it's all a personal preference thing... but if you choose to add it into your rotation.. always keep it to the same side of the vehicle, i use the passenger side... spare to the rear... rear to front.. front to spare... some tires are more sensitive to direction changes than others so i just treat them all as if it matters...
mike

hmmmm I think I'd leave it off..... theoretically if you put it on, you will always end up with one tire of the "wrong" height so if you got traction devices and you end up running with that tire you will get "weird" results at times. On the other hand if you end up loosing a tire and have to replace it for a new one, you will have one to match the other one....

Kejtar

sidriptide said:
i think it's all a personal preference thing... but if you choose to add it into your rotation.. always keep it to the same side of the vehicle, i use the passenger side... spare to the rear... rear to front.. front to spare... some tires are more sensitive to direction changes than others so i just treat them all as if it matters...
mike

Mike, this is old info. That's the way it was written in my '88 owners' manual, but times have changed. That was a result of American tire manufacturers having belt separation problems when they first started making radials, and they blamed it on changing the direction of rotation. They've finally got their act together (somewhat, at least) and now the owners' manuals recommend a regular 5-tire 'X' rotation.

thanks for all your input guys it is greatly appreciated!!

Back