• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Sliders

Did you make this of buy it? This is just what I was looking for.

I would do this style.
IMG_0067.jpg

Re: Roof Sliders? You mean like these?

plenty of places to roll there lol

I know that, but right there specifically, I don't know how you could roll it.. Unless you tumbled down the whole thing.. If that's where I'm thinking it is then you're leaning up against this, right?

1000646m.jpg

Or around 10-20 feet behind this pic:

1000654i.jpg

There are a lot of places to flop there... But also a lot of friendly stuff for my XJ :D

Do they make a good bolt on or weld on roof slider/rack? I haven't found one you found buy besides the Olympic top hat thing

Does anyone know if TopHat will sell just the roof slider and not the basket?

I hate roof baskets but really like the sliders that go with that rack. I would build one myself but time is always an issue. I have to pick and choose what I burn fab time on.

I'm a big fan of the HDOE relocation boxes but not the roof sliders. I'm sure they are functional but I just wish they also followed the pinch seam/roof line closer just so they won't look like you are carrying a couple of pieces of pipe on your roof rack. I beleive in function over form but putting a slight bend in those sliders would be easy and look way better while still functioning the same.

I want to make something like the one below but time is a factor for me. The Top Hat almost looks that good although I do not think the Top Hat can match the performance of that slider. The Top Hat would weigh a good bit less though.
IMG_0067.jpg

Base models, like my '89 XJ, do not have roof racks. (I added one from an old wrecked '79 model 17 Cherokee). I'd rather a roof carrier that could double to protect my '89, whilst between trees, i.e., tipped over this way and that in mud ruts.
I guess there is another "odd" option that my base model had.

I posted earlier in this thread that I have a top hat rack...since that time I have noticed a few flaws in the design. First thing is that the top hat rack is in sections so its not smooth when sliding against anything so it catches on the heads of the bolts and where it joins together. Also it is very hard to assemble because the tubes are straight and the roof gutter line is not straight. I was able to get it back together but it will never be the same again.

Last time out I was leaning close to a tree, and when I hit the gas the jeep leaned right into the tree with the front of the rack, and tore it all off the gutter, as seen here---->
bath103.jpg

so if I could make one, it would have a bend in the front so it wouldn't be able to do this

Well crap! Scratch Top Hat off the list!

I'll contact HD and see if he can do something different with the sliders he makes.

Or I might just break out the MIG and the steel and go for it.

Back