• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof rack, lightbar, and tent build

TwistedcaB

NAXJA Forum User
had another thread when i was throwin ideas around and thought i'd start one for the actual build. i ordered 60feet of 3/4" .65 tubing and started just cutting it up. the basic rack is 74x50x6 without the light rack. anyways here are some pics:

how im doing the light bar:
SV100590.jpg

tacked together:
GetAttachment.jpg

PIC-0192.jpg

measuring for gutter mounts:
RRfitting2.jpg

RRfitting.jpg

you should put some angles in the corners....
the super square edges look bad IMO
though it's looking really good other than that!

I got you on that problem
I'm 6'4"
these jeeps just don't seem to be built to fit us big people!
ha ha

so 3/4" .065 wall is going to handle a tent setup with you in it and some cargo?

yeah jimbo they shoulda done a few things a little diff. haha.

and yeah it should support me. it's light but still fairly strong. strong enough. and im goin with 6 gutter mounts instead of 4 to help distribute the weight.

I like that idea

i would strongly consider adding more vertical supports in your rack- on the long side especially- and some more cross beams side to side in the floor. i think on my defender rack they are set about 8" apart on my 54" rack.

i like the cutout- i think it would look all the better if you put grille slats in there... after all- that's the iconic jeep look. your right marker lamp/ head lamp is not matched up to the left in your illustration and you may want to fix that. look at the space between the bottom of the headlamps and marker lamps.

Last edited:
so 3/4" .065 wall is going to handle a tent setup with you in it and some cargo?

X2....

I'm almost done with my roof rack. It's a store bought one, but I stretched 8" in length and width...

It's made of 1"d x .065' w steel tube. I think that stuff is pretty flimsy.

I bought a Hi-lift jack to mount to the roof rack.

It's going in the rear storage until I can build a bumper.

thanks man,

and i wish i could get those IPF's but i need 5 lights and for not too much $$$ anyone know of anyone selling a used set or something even of 4?

Okay, how about a pair of Hella 500's for $40 shipped. That's $20 a light for real lights, not some no name crap. About the best deal on new lights you'll find. Only thing is they are 55 watt bulbs where the IPF's you get both 55 and 100 watt ones. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0304149388&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

Back