• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock rings/rim protectors

twodoorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This is what im talking about:

2011-07-07_08-38-21_143.jpg

Anyone sell a rock ring that i could weld to a soft 8?

Not looking to do full beadlocks, but i want to protect the rim and the valvestem, as well as change up the look on the soft 8s.

Seems like yota dudes are into them. If I ever went steel wheels again I would do some to change the look and keep from destroying the wheel and to keep the wheel from rusting on every scratch.

http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_17

http://www.copperheadfab.com/index.php?action=catview&cat=Rim Stiffeners

I wouldnt think welding them to the outside lip of any steel wheel made for road use would change a thing. Im sure you'd be fine with them on the street. I think Hammered has a set on his rig, send him a pm.

Nice!! Thanks for the links!

Do you think of i got them tig welded there would be less of a chance of the wheels warping at all?

tack it into place then mig them a couple inches at a time. they wont warp this way.

usually people who TIG are much more advanced welders, along with finer heat controls, and pulse, yeah.... it'll help.

but people have been MIGing diy beadlocks for years... i wouldnt worry about it untill i was averaging trophy truck speeds... at which point, i'd want professionally made , un modified allloy wheels

I used a Mig. Dialed it down to where I could get a nice small bead (3/16 ish) Most home fab welders will be perfect for it... My buddy had them lazer cut. Our own custom design based on the copperhead rings. But all in all you cant beat that price that they sell em for.

As for balance. Mine were very easy to balance... no nightmare issues or 10 Lbs of weights. I drive alot of road miles and these are very road friendly wheels even now.

just keep an even weld, do some test runs to get your bead how you want... then grind the powder coat off obviously... you'll be fine. One thing you will want to do is champfer the edge of the rings.

Im planning on running some InnerAirLocks on my 17's/Treps for beadlocks. I plan on adding some rings for rim strength/protection. This guy is a vendor on Pirate and makes custom cheap beadlock kits and stuff, I was planning on getting some rings cut from him.

http://diybeadlocks.com/Page_2.php

I used a Mig. Dialed it down to where I could get a nice small bead (3/16 ish) Most home fab welders will be perfect for it... My buddy had them lazer cut. Our own custom design based on the copperhead rings. But all in all you cant beat that price that they sell em for.

As for balance. Mine were very easy to balance... no nightmare issues or 10 Lbs of weights. I drive alot of road miles and these are very road friendly wheels even now.

just keep an even weld, do some test runs to get your bead how you want... then grind the powder coat off obviously... you'll be fine. One thing you will want to do is champfer the edge of the rings.

Thanks for the info:peace:

How do you like the rings so far offroad?

Back