• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Rail Schematics

xjmoser said:
i built my rails from a design i found at mesa4x4.com they sit flush with the rocker and against the pinch seam (no gap). very clean looking i can e-mail pic if wanted.

ah yes, you must've copied mr hoovers design...good guy. pretty mch the same thing i did, with some slight variations. nice set up tho, i like having a little more protection and a step....

Three reasons for my design.First, the pinch seam is not square to the body so the rail looked horrible that way.Second,no space to allow for the "big one"(hit).Third,traps to much junk in that area!

xjmoser said:
i built my rails from a design i found at mesa4x4.com they sit flush with the rocker and against the pinch seam (no gap). very clean looking i can e-mail pic if wanted.

I'd like to see a picture. You can email it to [email protected] or just post it here. I called around for steel today and nobody carries/makes 1"x4" that I could find. Everyone makes 2x4 of course, but I couldn't come across 1x3 or 1x4 from any of the 6 shops I called. Ron, where did you get 1.5x3? What wall is it? I've been trying to stay with .250 wall for the area directly under the rocker, but would consider .188 bare minimum. TIA.

I did not want to notch the pinch rail for extra 1" clearance and the steel yard didn't have any 1" x 4 material in the discount area (another 1") so I went with what was on hand. I find that stuff slides easily along the rail and more junk hangs up on the t-case skid and underside than the sides. I was most intersted in protecting the rocker and holding the rockers/doors away from stuff. Total project time from start to finish for building was about 8 hours. Welding shops can order any size material that is in the supplier book.

standard.jpg

xjmoser said:

I would like a picture if you could... I like these... I'd have mine powder coated, but I like..

[email protected]

3KXJ said:
Check out Kevinsoffroad.com. This is a great idea, exept the mounting. I just copyed these this weekend but, I added a peice of angle iron for the pinch seam to mount to.

Kevins designs are sound. I don't like it when folks just assume the pinch seam is the ONLY way to do it.

Kevin's design and Andy's from CRSU are trail proven to work.

Kevin's mount at two points and Andy's mount at 3 (I run Andy's and there are 3, 2"x2" outriggers with flat plates at the ends. These are welded on.

I have beat the snot out of my rig with these things and they have perfromed flawlessly.

I have seen the pinch seam design work well too, don't get me wrong, but it irkes me when folks badmouth a design they've never seen in action.

TOZOVR said:
Kevins designs are sound. I don't like it when folks just assume the pinch seam is the ONLY way to do it.

Kevin's design and Andy's from CRSU are trail proven to work.

Kevin's mount at two points and Andy's mount at 3 (I run Andy's and there are 3, 2"x2" outriggers with flat plates at the ends. These are welded on.

I have beat the snot out of my rig with these things and they have perfromed flawlessly.

I have seen the pinch seam design work well too, don't get me wrong, but it irkes me when folks badmouth a design they've never seen in action.

Do you think I would be better off buying my Rock Rails or trying to have them made? I read through all the articles on Kevin's design and I think they are great. I like the idea of the slider as well. Of course... I'm still a n00b at all of this...

Please advise..

Toz, I never meant to say that Kevins design was lacking in any way. I had to add the angle iron for the pinch seam because I'm running 36" long arms and the mounting system from Kevins wouldn't work for me. I believe Kevins are the best lookin rockers I've seen. My buddy runs them and they take a ton of abuse. I would highly recommend his sliders to anyone.

Toz, I never meant to say that Kevins design was lacking in any way. I had to add the angle iron for the pinch seam because I'm running 36" long arms and the mounting system from Kevins wouldn't work for me. I believe Kevins are the best lookin rockers I've seen. My buddy runs them and they take a ton of abuse. I would highly recommend his sliders to anyone.

Liquid...If you have the means, I'd make them, but many don't have the time or inclination to build. I know I didn't when we got mine from Andy.

I'd reccommend the CRSU rails to anyone with not enough time to build but still want to do some finish work...Andy's rails are beefy as hell, but you'll spend some time and effort getting them on. You'll also need some skills with the welder to affix them.

But man, I have WAILED on mine and have nothin but looove for them LOL.

Try PMing Phat XJ and asking for his plans...all CAD/CAM and sexy.

3KXJ, sorry if that came off directed at you LOL...it was more a general blurt to many of the folks out there who think there's only one way. ;)

xj92 said:
I was just out taking measurements and trying to finalize my design, and I've got an idea to throw by you guys. First of all, I've got the T&J Chassis Stiffener that the legs are getting welded to. What if I run 3 legs (1" round .250 or .188 wall) to the rail (1"x4" .250 square). The rail will sit right on the outside of the pinch seam up flush with the bottom of the rocker panel, then drill and tap the square tube rail itself in 6 or 8 places and bolt it through the pinch seam like that? That would eliminate the angle most of you guys are using for the pinch seam and allow the rail to sit up higher and eat up less ground clearance. The pinch seam would have to be notched in 3 places for the legs, but the notches are already there, I'd just round them out since they're square right now. In my head this design sounds better than most of the ones I've seen, any points that I need to consider? The only thing I can think of so far is that stuff could get into the inside of the rails throug the bolt holes and cause small rattle noises. TIA.

You can do that, a 1/4" thick rail will hold well when threaded. I'd use at least 5 evenly spaced bolts. These rails I built are 2x2 that sit flush to the pinch seam. I wanted stronger than just tapped holes so I ran a nutsert down the inside of the tube. They are labor intensive, but strong. (by the way, the good looking rig is my friends :tears: ).

rails2.jpg

I'm gonna rock the boat on this thread...
first off with Kevins Rails... I just don't like the design. if they were fastened to the pinch seam I would be happier, but I don't have to buy them...
now for my second grudge... whats with the need for 1/4" steel tubing. there is nothing like adding an extra 100# to each side of your jeep. ok maybe not that much but I don't have my chart in front of me showing weight per foot.
sure it will take whatever you throw at it, but what does that weight do to your suspension? decreases your ride height. that and the 1/4" wall 2x6 you call bumpers... have you ever taken all the crap out of the back of your jeep and notice the increase in ride height, along with better acceleration, braking, cornering?
try making things just a little bit flexible. I will give you a basic design for rock rails. youll have to figure out all the measurments cuz every vehicle setup is different.
this is what I made for my own rig, and it stands up to anything I can bounce my jeep off. plus I can use my rails as a winch anchor, and I have needed a winch in that direction.
for my design I used 1.5"x1.5" .120 wall for the main rail. instead of two cross bars I use for to attach to the frame rail. the cross bars are 1"x2" .120 wall. a piece of 1" angle fits in place for the pinch seem. which gets 10 bolts 1/4"-20 GR8. each cross bar is mounted to the frame rail via 3/8" bolts. they are drilled all the way thru. not to tight but properly torqued. this gives you the strength to pull away from the vehicle.
not only do they weight 30# per side but they are not totally ridged. they absorb some of the shock from impacts.
take it for what its worth... I made my rear bumper from (gasp) 3/16" 2x5 tube. its been bounced off rocks, rearended by a chevy (2000$ damage to him). and it doesn't weight more than me.

but thats just me...

Rawbrown said:
for my design I used 1.5"x1.5" .120 wall for the main rail. instead of two cross bars I use for to attach to the frame rail. the cross bars are 1"x2" .120 wall. a piece of 1" angle fits in place for the pinch seem. which gets 10 bolts 1/4"-20 GR8. each cross bar is mounted to the frame rail via 3/8" bolts. they are drilled all the way thru. not to tight but properly torqued. this gives you the strength to pull away from the vehicle.
not only do they weight 30# per side but they are not totally ridged. they absorb some of the shock from impacts.
take it for what its worth... I made my rear bumper from (gasp) 3/16" 2x5 tube. its been bounced off rocks, rearended by a chevy (2000$ damage to him). and it doesn't weight more than me.

but thats just me...

Do you have any pictures. I am building this weekend and am jsut reading and looking at what others are doing for ideas.

What are the links for "kevins"?

Found the link for Kevins. Sorry was thinking it was a personal website.

How many of you with the 2x4 or 2x6 design can be picked up witha hi lift? I am trying to make my vehicle more of an expedition vehicle than a rockcrawler. Protection plus functionality.
Thanks all

Back