• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rock krawler suspension! what do you know?

Which one would you get?

• Rock krawler 6.0

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Rustys Long arm 6.5

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Iron Rock 6.5 Critical path Long arm

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • Full traction 6" Long arm

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • Rough Country 6.5 Long Arm

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Frankenlift just figure it out

Votes: 31 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jackdaniels

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a 99 XJ it is all stock currently and i am ready to start the never ending build after X-Mas. i plan on doing alot of trails and crawling. i like the cost of this kit looks like ALOT of bang for the buck! please tell me what you know. or what lift is truly worth while?

XJ 6.5 TRIPLE THREAT LONG ARM w/ REAR COIL CONVERSION

http://www.rockkrawler.com/

Last edited:
What size tires?
What terrain?
How much experience wheeling the XJ? You'd be surprised what can be done stock.

Most of us are of the mindset that 6.5" is a bit high unless you're running bigger than 35s. I currently am running the RK 3 link up front. Excellent flex, tough mounts, tough links. I've drug the mounts over rocks and they're slightly banged up, but no worries about failing.

well thinking 33"
trails, rocks, etc. i live in colorado!
quite a few trails so far, but there is just some places i just cant go.

For 33s, consider keeping it lower. I'm at 5.5" and could easily go lower, but I also have cut my fenders a lot. But it is possible to run 33s on 5-5.5" with little to no trimming. Gets you a better center of gravity, less tippy, and less extra stuff to worry about.

Depends. Leaves are more stable, coils offer more flex. Each side has it's advantages.

What do you think about the rear coil conversion? should i just stick with leaves?
The money you would spend on a coil conversion for the back is ridiculous. That money, if you have it, is better spent else where. If money is not an issue i'd say go balls to the walls and get coil overs. Or build a buggie. :) If you did get coils in the rear i still think that is sick and i'd totally be jealous. But Darky is right, they both have their ups and downs. I would want to figure out some kind of sway bar or adjustable shocks for the rear if you're running coils, for added stability. Good old leafs haven't failed me yet either, plus you can get really flexible leafs too. Like the Flex-e ones from BIG off road. And for 33's i'd keep it at about 4.5" it's always easier to go up in the future. That's what i was at, 33's and 4.5", then i got some boomerang shackles and a cheep spacer for the front and now i'm at about 6" and 35's. i think that those two set ups are the perfect tire-lift ratio and looks awesome.

But hey, that's just me.

Last edited:
y isn't tnt customs long arm or RE long arm on the list? just

I am running the rock krawler 3 link, 8 inch rusty's springs, and 6.5 inch packs (1.5 inch shackles).

I am running 35 inch tires right now for the flex, could probably fit 37 and next time will probably get the 36" IROK's.

I wouldn't get the coil conversion especially if its your DD. Im running 8 inches of lift with no sway-bars and the leafs out back make all the difference. Also Im running 5150 Bilstein shocks, so that make a difference.

If I had a stock XJ right now, and I wasn't planning on new axles, I would go for Iron Rock Off-road. I think there Y link is so unique and cool. and its like half the price of RK. Search for the extensive review somewhere, Its really awesome.

Oh here is a picture of my rig, 35's on a 6.5 inch lift would be fine.
BYLiQCGkKGrHgoOKkUEjlLmVksBKgL-tp0Q.jpg

I can't comment on which suspension you should get but wanted to say that Rock Krawler customer service is excellent. I recently had a problem buying a second hand track bar which was wrong for my application. I spoke with Eric at RK and he was awesome in helping me resolve my problem affordably and efficently even though I was not the original buyer.

It doesn't hurt to mention their parts are beefy as hell.

My vote would be for TNT/Treks...but it is not on that list....

so i have a 99 XJ it is all stock currently and i am ready to start the never ending build after X-Mas. i plan on doing alot of trails and crawling. i like the cost of this kit looks like ALOT of bang for the buck! please tell me what you know. or what lift is truly worth while?

You seem to like it so just buy it.

Get what YOU want and do it right the first time. ;)

All the kits you mentioned are good long arm kits so you can't go wrong with any of them.

I like the RK because of their 3 link setup.

With sway bars in the back (they suggest the Skyjacker TJ one) and a shorter lift height ... there is no reason it couldn't be street frieindly.

Joe

Keep in mind that you will need a SYE and DL, plus shocks this kit will end up closer to $3000 dollars. Also unless you are going to install it your self this kit will cost a lot more to have installed then a normal LA kit would.

I would look into the Clayton, Rubicon Express and the Treks/TNT kit as well.

what kinda pussy has someone else install their lift?

i worry about rock krawler, they tend not to sweat the small stuff (like their 3-link's upper bushing @ the axle... TERRIBLE DESIGN

Ones that don't have their own garage or tools. Ones that admit they don't have the wrenching skills but might be very capable drivers. Or maybe ones that are smart enough to know they don't feel like screwing with rusted bolts that could be anywhere between 8 and 25 years old.

Like JRW just said .... I make a living doing this too.

Joe

i worry about rock krawler, they tend not to sweat the small stuff (like their 3-link's upper bushing @ the axle... TERRIBLE DESIGN

Apartment dwellers with garage envy.

Back