• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler Skidplate

Capt. Nemo said:
Since you pimp RK everytime it's brought up in a thread on this board, it would be cool if you bought a red name.

Gettin' a little, give a little.

;)

x3

Capt. Nemo said:
Since you pimp RK everytime it's brought up in a thread on this board, it would be cool if you bought a red name.

Besides, you'll be helping out your local chapter during the March membership drive! ;)

Or maybe better yet, become a vendor as much as you pimp the RK stuff and/or offer good deals to everyone...

Our Belly Pan probably wouldn't lend itself to a hidden three link set up, as the lower mount is tucked up into the chassis already, not leaving much room for the upper mount - unless you went up into the floor. You could graft the RK lower control arm mount onto one of our XD Belly Pans w/bracing though and have a fully ribbed and gussetted pan vs. just a piece of 1/4" plate bolted to the bottom of your uni-body.
The 10mm bolt holes in our pan and in the RK LCA mounts would line everything up. Bolt the 2 together onto the Jeep and then tack the RK LCA mounts to our pan. Pull the pan back off and finish weld the 2 together.

Looking at the RK pan:

xj_flatskid.JPG

It appears that the tranny mount bolts directly to the pan leaving the studs sticking through the pan just waiting to get taken off by something. :eek:

If I were to ever use a RK kit that's how I would do it. Well on second thought I'd just build my own... :D

Thanks for the input. I just realized it might be a moot point with the RK because I have an MJ and they only list a skid for a XJ.
Rock Yacht, I have a few questions for you that I will back channel you on.

Capt. Nemo said:

Besides, you'll be helping out your local chapter during the March membership drive! ;)

if you really want to know my check is actually already in the mail, has been for over a week now. I'm just waiting for them to get it, soooo once again ask before you speak, it saves yourself from looking dumb.......

you are correct about the t case bolting straight to the skid, but all you gotta do is cut down the bolts and all you have hanging down are the nuts. I'll let you know if i ever get caught up on the bolts i highly doubt it. Just put mine on last weekend so havn't had a chance to test it out yet.

Matt

So Matt, are you a RK vendor??

I myself am not a rk vendor, but my buddy who owns TRCOffroad most certainly is. One of the biggest RK movers there is.

Matt

On another note, in the past few days i have been looking for the link on information on how to become a vendor on this site, does anyone have that link handy. Sorry to get off topic

If I were to buy a belly pan/crossmember to build off of it would be the TNT w/ internal bracing. That RK one looks flimsey no matter what thickness it is.

But if I were to build a suspension I'de make it flat and build it myself.

T&A-XJ said:
That RK one looks flimsey no matter what thickness it is.

Are you guessing buy that little picture, or have you seen one in person?

matt6669 said:
you are correct about the t case bolting straight to the skid, but all you gotta do is cut down the bolts and all you have hanging down are the nuts. I'll let you know if i ever get caught up on the bolts i highly doubt it. Just put mine on last weekend so havn't had a chance to test it out yet.

Matt

Personally I'd rather not have my nuts hanging down when in the rocks (or any other obstacles)... ;)

Ever been under a CJ or YJ that's been wheeled anywhere other than at the mall? They have this same poor mounting system... :rolleyes: Ever had to figure out how to fix sheared off transmission mount studs when out on the trail and you need to get home to go to work in the morning? Better have your duct tape and bailing wire with you. :)

Guessing,
I see no support for the case skid portion and little verticle supports. Flat plate will bend. The verticle supports I do see are notched for exhaust/DS clearance not to mention only having 2 mounting holes on either side (stock mounting) and having the tranny mount bolts exposed to the underside that yes could/would get hung up, damaged ect.

If there is more there than I can see and can remember seeing from bigger better pics then my bad.

I dunno, my buddy ran this same exact skid plate for 2 years in nuroc and never ever had a problem with it, but ill just wait and see what happens when i take it wheeling. Should be going to paragon at the end of march so ill let you guys know.

Matt

Gary E said:
If you spent as much time fabricating it as you spent looking at bolt on junk it would be done allready :)
You got me Gary! I need to get off of my butt and make some sparks.

I am guilty too its just so easy to sit in this chair with my feet up :) My junk hasn't moved since fordyce in july or something, pathetic.

Back