• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roadtrip XJ prep

Having made many long distance wheeling trips in my xj I believe I have a few tips that may be helpful. I live just outside Kansas city and have drove to Colorado and moab several times .
* Kansas is boring as s**t ,and its uphill and windy the whole way westbound. so load up your I-pod and if you have stock gears and tons of gear be prepared for constant downshifting. If you can keep your eyes open it"s a much better drive at night, I can shave almost an hour from home to Denver at night.
* I think everyone else has covered spare parts pretty well , and I agree with the theory if you have it you wont need it . the funtreks guide books are very helpful. Resist the urge to load up the roof, it will make your jeep very top heavy and handle poorly.
* if you have open diffs I would not freak out about tons of spare axle parts, I wheeled moab three times with an lsd dana35 and still made the 1000 mile trip home.
* if you enjoy a brew around the campfire ,bring it from home , Utah beer sucks.
* you wont regret the drive , its a great time .

Growing up driving from Chicago to Northern Mexico 2-3 a year(1800mi) I've gotten to enjoy driving, my plan is to leave Chicago and head west in the afternoon and drive thru the evening. Im going to be getting new tie rods this week, and new axle seals and ball joints some time this winter to finish redoing the front end, and might throw in some 4:10 gears if possibles. I think for skids the Rustys T-case skid looks priced right, and im hunting the JY for the gas tank skid. In my jeep its gonna be people who never have wheeled, so its gonna be interesting camping.

Are MTs a huge plus down there? Im arguing between some Grabber AT2s or using my old treat MTRs(treadwright guard dogs)

So I've gotten the days off at work, with a month to go need to lock down a solid game plan for Utah. I have the last week of march off, and might be driving all the way to SLC to pick up girlfriend, spend a couple days in Moab, back to SLC and then shoot my way to Chicago again. Seem reasonable to attempt in a week? Also could fly down there but cant wheel with a rental car(or can i?) but broke kid budget kicks in so id prefer to keep costs down

Google says that is a little over 20 hours of driving to SLC. How many drivers will you have? Sounds like too much driving for one week to me.

20h Chicago to SLC
4h SLC to Moab
4h Moab to SLC
20h Chicago to SLC

That accounts for 48h of your 168h vacation. I guess it isn't that far off from driving from Maine to Moab for 2 weeks, but the rest day on either end eats a bigger portion of your trip.

Moab is fun, but could you have your gf meet you somewhere closer? I think there is good camping and wheeling in WY or SD: http://www.xoverland.com/xfan-carnage/attachment/morrison-jeep-trail-wyoming/

My wife and I did an SD trip as our first western road-trip and had a lot of fun. There are plenty of National Parks and National Forests for camping, there are trails, and Wind Cave was awesome.

Id like to get the max time camping and riding as possible, although we need to spend at least 1 day in civilization, but i was shooting for Moab due to the fact groups will be wheeling so i wont have to do it alone. Might have a winch by then, but no point in risking it

There is some civilization in Moab, haha. The trails there have very good traction, for the most part.
But, reliability, and preferably at least one other vehicle on the trails with you. There are lots of Naxja members in UT, and close surrounding areas that I am sure would trail ride as well. I made it to Moab and back from California with only breaking my taillight housing.

Maintenance being on point is key in my opinion.

Im currently north of chicago, and have been getting my 00 XJ ready for a trip across country. (Moving to Arizona in 3 weeks)

Ive done:
784 injectors
Thermostat
Thermostat housing
Water pump
New upper/lower radiator hoses
Coolant flush
ZJ fan clutch
B&m oil cooler for the trans
Front end alignment
Putco headlight harness
New XJ steering box
Steel steering box brace
Front bumper tie in brackets
Adjustable/greasable shackles
Adjustable track bar

I also picked up a 5 gal Nato jerry can a d a 5 gal water can. I made wheel chocks out of a 4x4, and practiced using my hi-lift at each corner incase i get a flat.

Im keeping weight as low as possible.

As far as spare parts im not carrying anything other than all the fluids it may need to keep it alive, zip ties, duct tape, electrical tape, fuses, light bulbs, and hand tools to do any roadside repairs it may need.

I plan to add a tire plug kit in the bag, and a fire extinguisher.

I will be offroading in AZ, but my main concern in getting there issue free.

How many drivers will you have for the long stretches? With 2 or more drivers you could do it in about the time google says. It will take waay longer driving alone. Either way, that drive will be type 2 fun . Get some audiobooks. It is great to finish an unabridged book in 1 sitting :wow:. <-- This is exactly what my wife and I look like getting breakfast 28-30 hours into one of these drives.

For pre-trip maintenance, check your water pump so you don't have to change it in a parking lot in Nebraska in the middle of the night.

I advise against retread tires at this point. Never had them, but read and heard lots of things lately that make it sounds like a bad idea.
At this point, the price difference between retread and NEW tires is negligible and not worth the few dollars to save. Semi-trucks, busses, etc are a different story.

I have the retreads on order now, but they will only be used locally and to offroad for a while, i will still keep my stock ATs for the trip. its looking like Moab might not be the destination after all, but now we are thinking of doing somewhere in Colorado. Still going to drive there, but now not going to do all the trails, maybe find somewhere middle between us like had been suggested, run the trail and spend the rest of the days camping or exploring around.

The guy I bought mine from took it down to Belize for a few months. He had some very awesome stories. Took anything and everything he might need on the way there. Installed a lockbox in the back and packed it with tools and parts. Had an air compressor and plugs are any tire problems. Best thing about buying it was he left all the parts he took in it. Im sure your trip isn't as extensive and his, but be prepared for things that might leave you stranded.

My list doesn't have anything to do with carrying a ton of shit or creating a buggy out of a XJ.

Maintenance:
Do it at home, or out in the middle of tim buk tu, your choice. I prefer a nice garage.
That means Inspect/Replace:
U-Joints (Including wheel joints), Front Unit bearings, Brakes, accessory belt, oil, filter, cap/rotor (Keep old as spare under the rear seat), exhaust, etc. In otherwords, give it a good go over and plan on spending $ on parts.

Tires:
Rocks can be crappy on sidewalls. Have a full sized spare in good repair. Keep a plug kit and a pump with you. Air Down Off-Road, Air up back on road.

Spares:
Carry Extra fluids for yourself and the Vehicle.

Tools:
Carry a small shovel and a small ax.

Carry enough tools to do "simple" repairs. Wrenches, Socket Set, Screwdriver set, hammer... It would be real embarasing to be stuck someplace because you didn't have a pliers.

Wheeling:
3" and 31" tires with stock 3.55 gears will take you though a lot of trails in CO and Moab. Tire placement and wheeling like you have to drive it home will get you there and back. Wheeling like you stole it will not.

Wheel with another vehicle.

If not possible. If not, if it looks like you're going to screw something up by taking a line, pick a different one. Wheel ahead of where you are and pick your future lines.

Where are you?:
Watch the weather.

Get a Gazeteer by Deloram (Spelling) for each state you plan on playing in. Charles Wells books are a must have for doing any trails that are not simply forest roads.

Carry a Cell Phone, and atleast a FRS radio (buy a reasonably nice one). Look up the Emergency frequencies (Channels) for the area you are going to. CB is a good choice also, if nothing else you know where the bears are ;) A lot of folks still use CBs Off-Road, but a ton of folks in the backcountry wheel with no com or just a Phone. Carry a GPS or have an App. Find a compass and keep it in the vehicle.

Wheel with another vehicle.

Company:
Wheeling buddys are not that hard to come by. Drop a message on a local Forum usually gets some sort of result. I've met some nice folks in CO that way.

I've rambled enough, but you get the picture.

Back