• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Road manners on a 6" lifted XJ

Im with canman on this one, it is definitly worn parts. I can tell you your steering box is probably shot, that and worn TREs are accounting for the loosness in the steering wheel, drop brackets will help your flex and ride quality but i dont think that has anything to do with how its riding, im guessing your trackbar and bracket might be a lil loose but i htink your control arm bushings are fine if you dont have death wobble. Definitely look into some sort of upgraded steering because like one of them said im sure all of your steering links are wallowed out to hell. just my .02 (ive had alotta front end problems). Oh and your castor is definitly off

I'll check out the steering box, tie rod ends and the rest of the linkage once the suspension is put back together properly and everything is aligned again. No sense chasing my tail.

The upper arms have been reattached and I'll take care of that bushing during the week. The track bar was slightly loose on both ends. The upper just needed to be tightened but the axle side was another story. The bolt RE sent with the kit is too long. The shop that put the lift on just put the bolt in and left it loose. Lovely. The metric 8.8 bolt is worn 1/4 through from the slop. I'll get a new, proper length grade 8 bolt on Monday and get it taken care of. It would have REALLY sucked if that bolt had broken.

That's what I get for being lazy and having someone else do the work. Well, at least having someone that wasn't competent do the work. I notice that all the work I did on the Jeep (including previous fixes of other people's work) is fine with no problems. Amazing how that happens.

I got everything bolted back up tonight. The control arms are tight as is the track bar. I still have to swap that bushing but it was enough for a test drive. It seems better (as one might expect). It's not really wandering but I still have that disconnected feeling. There is a lot of wallow in the suspension and I'm guessing that's part of the problem. Just getting on and off the gas is enough to upset the balance.

The steering seems pretty tight. I noticed that the tie rod ends seemed to move up or down a hair when steering. Is that a sign of worn ends?

It seems to drive okay at 65 or so but any avoidance maneuvers would seem like suicide. Not sure I'm willing to take it on a long highway trip. Even with the steering fixed, the soft suspension is still going to be trouble.

I have RE 4.5 + 1.75 spacers up front and .5 lift from UBE in the rear and RC control arm drop brackets. Ive been driving for 2 months now with no sway bar on highways normal driving what ever with out any trouble.

O i also have RR steering set up with a spacer so theres no roll to the tie rod.

Drove it a little more today and went over it with a mechanic I trust. The steering box is already tightened as much as it'll go so a new box is likely in order. Does everyone use an OEM box or is there an aftermarket version that's recommended? The OEM box is expensive as it is but...

The tie rod ends seem to be fine. I confirmed that I still have the factory pitman arm. Rubicon Express seems to be sending mixed signals over the need for a drop arm. The lift kits don't recommend it as required or suggested but when you look at the arm itself they recommend it for lifts over 3". Will a drop arm make a noticeable difference?

Since I'm looking this far, is there any big advantage to changing the steering system to a non-drag link setup like Rusty's sells? It starts to get pricy, especially when one considers adding a stabilizer back in.

I think no matter what I'll take this step by step. After driving it again today it seems like a big part of the handling issues are related to the lift. it's very soft and that does not instill confidence as it wobbles from side to side, binds and unloads under acceleration and coasting and dives like a sub under braking.

A look in case anyone is curious...

I don't really do any hardcore rock crawling with it (as you can see, I didn't even unhook the swaybar for this trip). It's mainly for exploring in the deserts and mountains. It's not driven on the street very often (I usually trailer it) but it would be handy for some trips, which is why I'm trying to improve things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anybody mention your responsibilty to clean up any areas you visit,thats just wrong!

Ha! That's the just the tip of the iceberg out in the desert east of San Diego (that was at Ocotillo Wells, the dunes are worse). I forgot my engine hoist that day though...

Theres a 100 "proper" things you could have done besides being a dumba$$ and crawling over it and posting pics on a public forum so every treehugger in the world can see it!!!!!!!

Oh hell, you're being serious! Chill out please. I don't need to be lectured.

I know that just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not after you but damn!

Any constructive comments on topic?

Oh hell, you're being serious! Chill out please. I don't need to be lectured.

I know that just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not after you but damn!

Any constructive comments on topic?

Ive been chill. You're the one freaking out now.

Im not paranoid.

I dont post pics of garbage left in a desert with me wheeling all over it.

Last edited:
Actually, I was referring to RCP Phx.

Let's try again for anyone who would benefit from a look at the rig when evaluating what's worth doing and what would be overkill for this specific application...

lifted6.jpg

lifted3.jpg

Sorry, none of these show the front suspension setup.

Hopefully there's no forklift huggers lurking...

Actually, I was referring to RCP Phx.

Let's try again for anyone who would benefit from a look at the rig when evaluating what's worth doing and what would be overkill for this specific application...

lifted6.jpg

lifted3.jpg

Sorry, none of these show the front suspension setup.

Hopefully there's no forklift huggers lurking...
EDIT:No forklifts were harmed or injured during this photo shoot.:rof:

Okay, all I can say is you guys gave excellent advice (and cost me some money).

I have a new steering box installed and it made a world of difference. The old worm gear was as tight as it would go so the original box was hopeless. We also discovered to bad motor mounts (one was cracked, the other severed) which probably explains the upsets when getting on and off the throttle. That, along with two new upper control arm axle side bushings and a tight track bar as made it drive like a new vehicle.

Thanks for the help!

Back