• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rip off alert!!!! (long read...)

I'm at a loss for words... Please bear with me as my anger is getting the best of me.

First of, here is the place, not sure if that is the correct address, but im sure it is close...
Xtreme Auto Service LLC
3060 E Bridge Street Lot 110
Brighton, CO 80601-2721
Owned by Jeffrey Jolliffe and Leisa Jolliffe.

Quick little back story. Sister has an '88 XJ 4.0/aw4. As some of you know, I moved to Indiana for a short time from Oct '10 until Feb '11. The day after I left her transmission went out. I won't get into details about the symptoms, but it was definitely shot.

Jeep has been sitting around until 5 weeks ago when my parents finally got the cash together to have a shop rebuild it. After they searched around on craigslist(mistake #1), they found an ad saying that this shop would do the transmission for 300 bucks in labor(that was of actual bench time with the tranny, not including removal/install and parts). They talk to the guy and find out that he could do the whole job with parts and all labor for right around 800 bucks including a new torque converter. They were offering to do this with a 2yr/24k mile warrenty and free towing to get the vehicle to their shop. We give them the go ahead and have them come get the jeep.

They pick up the Jeep on a Friday and tell us they should have it done on Monday late, but most likely Tuesday at the latest. Sounds reasonable to me? Wednesday rolls around and we haven't heard anything yet so we go ahead and call the shop. I know how shops can get busy and understand that sometimes things take a little longer to do than originally planned. Parts can be on backorder, staffing can get messed up, or other issues can come up. Plus they told us they were in the middle of moving shops across the street and it was slowing things down some. No problem I accept that. They tell us they are running behind on schedule and hopefully will have it done that day or early Thursday. No biggie.

Thursday rolls around and we call them again. No answer. Friday, same thing. We finally get in touch with somebody on Monday. They explain to us that they had a staffing issue and their "transmission guy" ended up going to jail and was just getting out that day. They said they would get back into it right away, and it should be done by the end of Tuesday. PLUS as a "peace offering" for the extra time this was taking, they would change the power steering pump at no charge except for the cost of new lines. Apparently they had one sitting on the shelf, and since they were moving shops they just wanted to get rid of it. Cool! Free parts! (I was planning on doing the PS pump when we got the jeep back anyways before my sis started driving it again, so this was one less thing for me to mess with).

Tuesday rolls around, and we cant get in touch with anybody to find out the status on the jeep. WTF?! Now this is getting aggravating! They answer the phone Wednesday morning and explain to us that the transmission guy is back in jail on outstanding warrants, has been terminated from the shop, and the owner of the shop was going to personally wrap up the work for us. So we tell them "fine, we just want it done and back".

That Friday rolls around and we are going through the same crap about getting in touch with them. We finally get the owner on the line toward the end of the day and he gives us another line about how the landlord at the old shop has already changed the locks and they are having trouble getting the rest of their tools over, but they have the Jeep and all the parts except the torque converter at the new shop already, and they will get another torque converter and be working over the weekend to get it done.

Monday comes around and we can't get in touch with anybody... Then Tuesday, Wednesday, and FINALLY somebody answers the phone on Thursday afternoon. He explains to us that he had the wrong PS pump, but was still going to get the right one in and do it for free, He said the jeep would be ready the next day, on Friday. Guess what happens Friday? NO ANSWER ALL DAY!!!

We get ahold of him Monday afternoon again and he says the jeep will be ready that day. When we call him that afternoon, he tells us that the lines are the wrong ones now and he has them on order with the warehouse and they will be in on Tuesday... Tuesday and Wednesday pass without us being able to get in touch AGAIN, and we were leaving some nasty messages at this point. They finally called us early yesterday morning saying they were super sorry about everything, and the Jeep is ready to be picked up.

Here's where it gets interesting...

Yesterday mom and pops take long lunches to go get the Jeep from the shop. When they get there they are looking over the invoice and this guy is charging them for the labor on the PS pump claiming he only said the parts were free. REALLY?! Then there is a line saying they replaced the starter as well and parts/labor for that. WTF? There was never a starter replacement authorized or even mentioned in the past 5 WEEKS! They showed us the old starter and that it had some chipped teeth and said they "figured we needed it replaced to get the vehicle out". Pops tells the guy since it wasnt authorized he wasn't paying for that work, but since it was installed and we obviously need a starter to get the damn thing home, they agree to just have him pay their cost on the starter and no labor. So dad got ripped for work that was never authorized, and shop owner handed in what was left of his credibility by charging the labor on the PS pump.

Mom leaves with the jeep and returns to her office downtown and Dad goes back to his work as well... Jeep drove fine to the gas station and down I25. When she got off of the highway she noticed the steering was a little stiff but didn't think much of it, she hadn't driven it, or any jeep for that matter, in about 8 months. At the turn into her office she said she was wrestling the wheel to turn and there was absolutely no power steering assist... She gets it parked, goes into her office and calls up dad. She isn't mechanically inclined so obviously she didnt lift the hood and inspect anything, and it was raining like crazy, so it would have been difficult to detect the leak unless it was obvious anyways. Dad calls the shop and they tell him that its most likely a burst line because the steering box is probably bad and is causing an over pressure... "bring it back up here and we will do the box for ya!" uh....? really?!!? We have obviously decided these guys were never touching our cars again, and promptly declined and said we will take care of it. Dad got off work and was able to limp the jeep home where it sat overnight.

So then this morning I decide I will go out and take a look at it. I pop the hood, there is obviously a new pump and lines, but I cant see the source of the leak since everything is covered in PS fluid, plus its just me here so i cant have anybody work the wheels back/forth while i keep the pump topped off... Starter also looks new. Here's the kicker though. I look under to see the tranny, ITS NOT EVEN THE SAME UNIT!!!!! I have been under this jeep before doing work (u joints and such), and you would think I would have noticed it having a spray painted yellow transmission! And it is obvious they didnt paint it themselves based on the scratched off paint with corrosion and dirt on the exposed metal, and fading and dirtyness of the paint. None of these yellow painted bolts on the pan had any marring or marks on the paint from where a wrench was used to drop the pan, and there was the same yellow paint on the exposed portion of the pan gasket. This tells me they never even opened the damn thing up. They just swapped in a used transmission!!! I also noticed the dust cover at the front was bent to crap from somebody prying on it, and it is missing bolts. I would love to see what the "new" torque converter looks like as well...

So like I said, I'm at a loss for words, in shock, and have no idea what to do from here... I looked online and these guys have a horrible rep and are known for this kinda crap it looks like. Before you rip into me about shop choice, know that it WAS NOT ME that had any decision or say whatsoever in the matter, and I never had communication with the shop, so I dont need to hear that. What more curious of is, WTF do I do? Who do I contact? Lawyer up?(recommend anybody?) Tom Martino? We obviously dont want these jackasses touching our stuff again, but the jeep needs to be fixed properly. Any input is greatly appreciated...

Also, I may be in the market for a new PS pump and steering box if anybody has some stuff laying around for cheap...

Did your folks pay by credit card? If so, you could dispute the charges since you didn't get what you paid for. Then let the dirt bag come after your folks if he thinks he could.

If they paid by check, call the bank and cancel the check.

Keep in mind, I am not a lawyer...
UM

gotta love story's like these.. they just bulge every vein in your forehead...

Did your folks pay by credit card? If so, you could dispute the charges since you didn't get what you paid for. Then let the dirt bag come after your folks if he thinks he could.

If they paid by check, call the bank and cancel the check.

Keep in mind, I am not a lawyer...
UM

Unfortunately they paid cash... 5% discount for paying cash(I've always wondered why alot of shops offer this, other than saving on fees. now i know...)

gotta love story's like these.. they just bulge every vein in your forehead...

Its not even my money personally, but Im furious.... I feel bad for my parents, who were trying to do the right thing, help out my little sister, get a good deal, and support local business. And I feel bad for my sis who has been sharing my parents only car and gettin up early to cart them to work so she could have it and go to work herself. She was super pumped to get her jeep back... grrr! I may be getting a decent bonus from work soon. If it's as much as im hoping, Im debating on just selling this thing and buying her another nicer XJ...Call it a graduation present...

That sucks man, if you do decide to keep this one and need a hand installing stuff lmk. I hate it when shops give us mechanics a bad rep, it makes it that much harder for us that are honest to make a living.

Thanks for the heads up!! Sorry to hear about the asshats that ripped your parents off!! That crap is just sad.......... why people think that ripping others off will net them something is beyond me...... I would report them at the very least and get a lawyer if it is feasable.

Hehe... You know I had my thoughts... Wouldnt happen, but ive never had it almost feel right to want to go strong arm somebody into something... Dude doesnt know me from anybody else... Walk into the shop "hey can you come look at my car out here?" he follows me out away from everybody else and gets his ass handed to him... But no..., im not that dude.

im that guy and in the mood right now to go let someone know its complete bullshit. im a scrawny fawk but ive got some heavy hands and a horrible temper, i usually get my way one way or another.

im that guy and in the mood right now to go let someone know its complete bullshit. im a scrawny fawk but ive got some heavy hands and a horrible temper, i usually get my way one way or another.

Trust me... I would if it would get me the repairs done correctly somewhere else, and wouldnt end up putting me in jail... I'm doing my damnedest to NOT just show up there...

Wow...Just wow.

If you'd like a recommendation for a guy that rebuilds tranny's and stands behind his work... I got a guy. My friend David in Falcon has rebuilt the 4l65E that's in my XJ and the 4EOD thats in my service van.

I don't recommend people lightly because it can come back to bite you in the ass.

David is a close personal friend and is one the most trustworthy people you'll ever meet.

If you want, I'll ask if he has time to rebuild it for you...and believe me, it will be done right.

Frank, its a possibility. And thanks for the offer! Let me see what I can do with these guys first... I would really like to know where our tranny is sitting right now and get that one rebuilt. I have no idea of the history on this one and the yellow spray paint scares me...

I would really like to know where our tranny is sitting right now and get that one rebuilt.
That has probably been returned for the core charge.

I'm not a lawyer. Take that invoice to someone who understands consumer law. :(

A friend had similar problems with a shop in Cheyenne that replaced the tranny in his pickup. He called our state attorney generals office. It may sound like a hassle but I would document all of this and file a complaint with Colorado's attorney general office. They will most likely want some solid proof. If you can get a qualified mechanic to write you a statement and stand behind it, chances are that your money could be recovered or at least you will make this goon real uncomfortable. If he screws up enough he wil be told no more business license. I'm sure somebody with NAXJA in Denver is a qualified mechanic and might be willing to help out by taking a look at the way this was done and maybe even a written statement.

^^that -- I am a lawyer, and if you're going to have any legal luck, it will be with criminal pressure from the DA/AG offices, not civil. You won't find a civil attorney worth his shorts willing to touch this, since the relative amounts are so small. Get with the local prosecutors, and see if they will push the ball. Tom Martino, or other local news outlets are not a bad idea either, seeing as you were promised a 2 day turnaround and instead got two weeks, took it in for a tranny rebuild and got a used tranny, labor on a defective PS pump and a starter you didn't want... just the kind of "human interest" story the news likes.

I would also be inclined to call the shop and tell them exactly what you intend to do, advise them that they are not touching your vehicle again and the only way for them to "make it right" and avoid the shitstorm of regulation and bad press you are about to bring down on them is to promptly refund ALL of the money spent on their shoddy work. If they refund it, call Tom Martino anyways, the public needs to be aware of shitbags like these guys.

Dutch, I hear ya, if there's a profession with a worse reputation than mine, its yours.

Back