• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rim Suggestions Advice

Will be selling wheels and tires once I decide on new wheels since I'm going to 35 with the added weight I want to go alluminum wheels.

My issues with alloy wheels are simple.

4. Changed one last weekend on turkey claw after it bent far enough it wouldnt hold air.

That one you changed last week is 8 years old, and is on its 3rd owner and 4th XJ before finally bending. Parts do break eventually..

That one you changed last week is 8 years old, and is on its 3rd owner and 4th XJ before finally bending. Parts do break eventually..
The one my brother changed last friday was only a year old. :moon:

And I know everything breaks eventually, mostly I like the repairability of steel. BFH and you're wheeling again in most cases.

Besides, who gives a shit, Leroy already decided what he wants. :twak:

350 you may have a problem with the spring retainer. Your present tire size appears to be small enough in diameter (height) to clear it. But when you move up the belly of the tire may be closer to the bolt threads. You can reverse the bolt to give you 1/4 to 3/16ths extra but it still close. When I switched (good deal) to those fatty MTZ 36x15.50x15 the wheel was too narrow at 8". I bought cheapie aluminum 10" for $100.00 this helped but put me close enough as the pic you posted. I turned the bolt inside out and it helped also! As far as aluminum, that's all I have. I have 2 sets for my van (just sold the 3rd set) and 3 sets for the XJ which fit the Scout too (5on5.5)! I've never broke one or lost a bead. I take that back in 1995 in Moab I lost a bead, but you get my point. The 10''s are cheap taco truck cruiser wheels from the local or loco Mexican tire shop and I have burped them since they are so wide but I never lost a bead. I've bent one but the sledge hammer(tool not trail) bent it right back. I have a set of 35's on Champion beads that I have yet to even place on the XJ. I just really like the footprint those fat bottom girls give me! I get flack from some people about being too wide but think about it: the 40's 42's & 44's all have 15.50 or wider footprint and look what they can do. I know tire height and clearance is mostly responsible for that but so is potential grip. I figure I'm running 36 inch 42's lol. In surmise, if you go with 35's pick a wheel that is available in more than one offset so if you need more back space you can get it!

Will be selling wheels and tires once I decide on new wheels since I'm going to 35 with the added weight I want to go alluminum wheels.

You get your 35's over the weekend?

I like the look of aluminum....before the first wheeling trip. Unless you go with real beadlocks, I'd stick with steel and lighten the load elsewhere if possible to make up that extra 100 lbs. Maybe skip the extra value meal for a year or so...Anyway, I've beat the crap out of a few sets (different Jeeps) and I do not think aluminum would have lasted as long as my steelies. And yeah, I've used a wrench to reshape my steel wheels. Try that with aluminum.

I have new(ish) 8" steel rims and want to switch to 12.50's in either 33" or 35" size. Hard to make that decision at this point.

I like the look of aluminum....before the first wheeling trip. Unless you go with real beadlocks, I'd stick with steel and lighten the load elsewhere if possible to make up that extra 100 lbs. Maybe skip the extra value meal for a year or so...Anyway, I've beat the crap out of a few sets (different Jeeps) and I do not think aluminum would have lasted as long as my steelies. And yeah, I've used a wrench to reshape my steel wheels. Try that with aluminum.

I have new(ish) 8" steel rims and want to switch to 12.50's in either 33" or 35" size. Hard to make that decision at this point.

Skiped that meal last couple of years I used to weigh 290, lately been around 200 lbs

Back