• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right in the middle of 5speed to auto conversion

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
man lots of MISC. junk

the tps is different
engine wiring harness different
steering column is different
shifters
cables
pedal assemblies
grommets
flexplate
etc

at least the drive shafts are the same LOL

I am taking pics as I do it and will do a complete write up. should be done tomorrow.......

xjnation said:
at least the drive shafts are the same LOL

that is a joke right?

xjnation said:
engine wiring harness different
main harness is same: only differnce is that there are other wiring harnesses going out to the tranny between the two and an additional one going to the aw4 controller.
steering column is different
huh???? How do you figure? The difference is the bolt on addons for the shift interlock thingy.

Kejtar said:
main harness is same: only differnce is that there are other wiring harnesses going out to the tranny between the two and an additional one going to the aw4 controller. OK about half the wiring harness...

huh???? How do you figure? The difference is the bolt on addons for the shift interlock thingy.

luckily they are both 87's the stock 5 speed column does not have the connector nub for the neurtal switch, since I have 2 other grey columns here it s easier to change out than disassemble the entire column to install the shift interlock nub parts

xjnation said:
nope, the combo with aw4 and 231 is the same as the ba10 and 231 combo......well within 1/4" on the mj

oh- the BA-10 must be longer than the ax-15 - i know my front driveshaft is too short to be used with an HD SYE as a rear driveshaft because my tranny is shorter than the aw4...

xjnation said:
luckily they are both 87's the stock 5 speed column does not have the connector nub for the neurtal switch
I'd just bypass it
it s easier to change out than disassemble the entire column to install the shift interlock nub parts
Again, can't you bypass that as well? :D I've dumped the clutch interlock when I put the AX15 in place of the AW4.

Kejtar said:
I'd just bypass it

Again, can't you bypass that as well? :D I've dumped the clutch interlock when I put the AX15 in place of the AW4.

Yeah I know...........but the oher column is set up with tilt and cruise.......both would be........will be nice

xjnation said:
nope, the combo with aw4 and 231 is the same as the ba10 and 231 combo......well within 1/4" on the mj

I completed the BA10 to AW4 swap about a month ago. I used the front shaft from the donor and had to have my rear shaft shortened about 2". Maybe the MJ is different from the XJ.:dunno:

mingo said:
I completed the BA10 to AW4 swap about a month ago. I used the front shaft from the donor and had to have my rear shaft shortened about 2". Maybe the MJ is different from the XJ.:dunno:

I measured the lengths from the donar xj andmy mj before I started and the length was the same....I guess we will see this morning.......I do have several other mj shafts lying around to fit if needed

ChevDog1 said:
I am at the tail end of my swap. Do you have wiring diagrams for the TCU and the plugs on the trans?

UMMMno that is why i took the wiring harness out of the donor rig, along with the tpc has 2 plugs not one and other misc parts

Forget hooking up the shift interlock......I never miss it. Just don't stop your rig on an uphill obstacle, leave it in Drive and turn off the key........

XJEEPER said:
Forget hooking up the shift interlock......I never miss it. Just don't stop your rig on an uphill obstacle, leave it in Drive and turn off the key........

actually the interlock only wil stop you from turning it on while in gear has no effect on turning it off

Well I got it running last night.........works llike a dream.....stand alone trans oil cooler with fan and adjustable tstat............was a good time to take it apart, I found cracks in the body that needed repair and also failing U joints in the front DS........the total length difference is about 3/4" the rear DS is alomst too long...might just need to lift......I will do a complete write up this week.

Last edited:
when you say the stand alon trans cooler, what does that mean and how does it wrok? Im about to to do a AX15-Aw4 swap

BIG98XJ said:
when you say the stand alon trans cooler, what does that mean and how does it wrok? Im about to to do a AX15-Aw4 swap

I use a bugpac oil cooler with electric fan mounted to it......it is about 11" x 12" x 3" I place it where the airbox used to be and then mount an imperial adjustable thermostat fan switch with the thermocouuuple at the middle of the radiator bethween the 2 fans, I set it to turn on at 190*....it keeps the tranny at perfect running temps and lowers the engine running temp by aoubt 10*

Back